Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Confusion

Sorry for the confusion. I got a few emails from some folks who thought I was having my chemo infusion yesterday, Tuesday. Nay, not so. I didn't make it clear though in yesterday's blog, I admit. Actually each chemo cycle is a three-day event. So I began chemo #6 yesterday with the blood draw and doctor visit. Today, Wednesday, I have the main event, the Taxol infusion. That will take between five and six hours today. The finale, or third day, is tomorrow when I go back for the neulasta shot.

So, yesterday, my blood work results showed that everything is normal. The doctor was pleased with how I tolerated the Taxol these past two weeks, and I'm cleared to go in today and do it again. My appointment is for 10:30, so I expect to be there until about 4 p.m. At least I get to sit in the big recliner chairs instead of the bed today. Once they see that you handle it OK in the bed, they let you go back to the chairs. Even dozing off from the Benadryl will be comfortable in those big chairs. The doctor gave me a prescription for oxycodone just in case I feel miserable on Friday and Saturday like last time. We are all crossing our fingers and praying that I don't feel worse or get any other side effects. I'm prepared to feel highly energized tomorrow. The doctor confirmed that the IV decadron can, indeed, provide that burst of manic energy the day after. It's not uncommon. Then I expect to feel achy and crappy Friday and Saturday. I just don't want to have that crappy feeling go beyond that. At least this time I can take some oxycodone if the pain is really bad. I told the doctor that I would have taken it last time if I had had it.

All in all, I'm prepared to get in there and do it, another milestone passed. There will only be two left! Whoee! That is so exciting. I'm starting to feel excited that I'm so close to the end. Our cruise, which leaves Miami on Valentine's Day, is starting to seem like a real possibility. I think the only thing that will hold anything up now is the weather. A little snow could come today; a little more might come Sunday. If snow prevents me from getting to the hospital for a scheduled infusion, then the time crunch could happen. We have a wedding to attend in Queens, NY on January 29 and then a four day drive to Florida. Hopefully there won't be a blizzard to prevent any of those plans from happening!

2 comments:

  1. I am so happy that the dr gave you a prescription for oxycodone. If you feel bad on Friday you should take it. I hate for you to hurt. I am so happy that you are getting excited for your cruise. I think that you will be happy tonight with only two more chemo infusions to go. Take care of yourself and I can't wait to hear how your chemo went.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to seeing you and playing mahjongg next week.

    ReplyDelete