Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Pearl Harbor and Other Thoughts






Mark and I had the wonderful opportunity to visit the Arizona Memorial in Honolulu last spring. Once you've been there, it's impossible to forget the importance of this date again. Our trip to Hawaii was incredible, and I would highly recommend it to everyone. Whether you fly over and visit the islands or cruise across the Pacific Ocean like we did, it is definitely one of those "not to be missed" experiences. I have included a few pictures today from that trip. One is of the Arizona Memorial as we approached it on the boat to go over to Pearl Harbor. One is inside the memorial where the names of the men who went down with the ship and are still entombed inside are listed. The last one is me back in the port/shopping area of Honolulu. As I was looking back at our vacation pictures, I was struck with how I looked here by the flowers. I was unaware that breast cancer was in my future. I was over 20 pounds smaller than I am now, and I have hair. What a difference! I just want to be that person again.

I also included two other pictures. One is me in our sleeper car on the train as we pulled out of Washington, D.C. on March 2, 2010 to start our 7 week vacation, which included the Hawaiian cruise. It was a Tuesday, so I had checked my weight that morning, 208 pounds. The last picture is me having my first Taxol infusion last Wednesday, December 1. It shows how much weight I have gained. When Mark took that picture, I immediately made him take another one because I was so horrified by how this one looked. Today I'm posting it precisely for that reason. It's weigh-in day, and I am 237 pounds this morning. That is a five pound gain for the week. Last Tuesday I did not report my weight because I had remained the same at 232 for the week. I thought that was pretty good because it included Thanksgiving. I felt pretty happy to have stayed the same for that week. Now I've gained five more. It feels like it just will not stop. I don't think it's just the steroids or the chemo. It's not only that I don't exercise anymore, although that's certainly true. It's mostly that I am out of control. I don't make any effort anymore to control my eating. I eat too much at meals and too much between meals. I don't write anything down. I don't think about it at all. It's mindless, binge-eating, all too often.

People tell me not to worry about it right now. I'm supposed to think about getting rid of the cancer and staying healthy. I'm supposed to keep my nutrition up. I'm sure that's all true, but good nutrition has nothing to do with the amount of donuts and candy I have been consuming lately. Staying strong and healthy has nothing to do with sitting in a chair or a car all day while I eat over 3,000 calories. Yesterday when we did the errands, Mark went in to most of them. The only time I got out of the car was to go into Denny's for lunch and Dunkin' Donuts to pick out the dozen donuts for the last three nights of Hanukkah. This morning I ate two of those donuts for breakfast along with an Activia yogurt and six Morningstar veggie sausage links. I really didn't need those donuts!

I am feeling depressed this morning, not because I feel sick because I don't. I feel good this morning with barely any aches and pains. I'm depressed because I've been thinking about Elizabeth Edwards. She is the second person in the last few months that is succumbing to her breast cancer. A friend of mine from Goddard died recently of a recurrence of her breast cancer, and now Elizabeth Edwards has been told there is nothing more they can do for her. She is 61 years old. She did everything we all do. She had surgery, chemotherapy, and I think she also had radiation. She was cancer-free, but it makes you think, "Is anyone ever really cancer-free again?"

I'm sorry to be such a "downer" this morning to those reading this blog. Still, you all know that I can only write what is in my heart. I don't want to hold anything back because the point of this blog is not to entertain or to inform others but to keep me sane and grounded. I write it because it helps me cope with everything. It gives me the chance to focus for a few minutes each day on what I'm doing, how I'm feeling, and where I'm going. Today I don't think I'm doing enough, feeling happy, or going anywhere. I can only proceed with my cancer treatment plan and pray that five or six years from now, I do not get the same news that Celeste MacMillan and Elizabeth Edwards got. If I do, I hope I can handle it with the grace and beauty that these two wonderful women did.

5 comments:

  1. I think that your pictures are beautiful. I am so glad that you have a cruise to look forward to still when you get done with the chemo. I don't think that you are a "downer", you are just being honest about how you feel. I have to tell you that I am feeling pretty discouraged today about things too. The hardest part for me is not being around people as much anymore since I don't work. I'm getting pretty tired of not working. For today since it is too cold outside to walk outside, I am going to make myself go to one of the nearby malls and walk with my new IPOD nano. Usually doing that will bring my spirits up.

    By the way my prayers for you are that in 5-6 years that this cancer journey will all be just a bad memory for you and that you will be busy enjoying a wonderful retirement in Florida with your husband.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rhonda. I spent a lot of time walking around our local mall. It's a huge oval that takes about 18 minutes for me to walk around once. When I was losing weight, I used to stop by after work and walk at least three times around it. With the iPod is even better. Enjoy yourself! Glad you liked today's blog and pictures. I am looking forward to my next cruise, but I am afriad I will spend the next year, or five years, or ten years waiting for the other shoe to drop. I don't think that is an uncommon experience for BC women. Do you?

    I am really happy I no longer work, but you are right that there is much more time "in isolation" this way. Right now I don't mind it, and hopefully when I'm "cured," Mark and I will be so busy in Florida that I won't notice I'm not working. LOL I hope you can find something to do that makes you feel less isolated. I know you really enjoyed your volunteer day. Maybe there can be more of that?

    Happy Holidays,
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pictures are beautiful, and we're praying that you'll get well. We also look forward to the day where this is behind you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Joan and Greg,
    I hope we get to see you this summer. I'd love to be all better by then! I"ll have very short hair, but I should at least have some hair back.
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Becky,

    I always like your photos. The Arizona Memorial is one place I would like to see in person.

    Yes,I was sad when Elizabeth Edwards died today. I admired her courage when she would stand in front of the reporters and cameras and look like life was wonderful when she's got cancer and a cheating husband; She was amazing!

    We all get down sometimes.
    Unfortunately, I think all of us can think of people who were close to us who have died of cancer. But you have to think of all the people that have beat cancer and are living cancer-free.

    Don't worry about the weight you have gained, concentate on eating healthy and becoming cancer-free. I know you can lose the pounds. You can do it again later.

    Love you and Mark,
    Bev

    ReplyDelete