Friday, December 10, 2010

Normal is Nice but am I really there yet?

Since Monday, I have felt entirely normal. I have had no aches, no pains, no nausea, no fatigue, nothing but normal. Can this continue? Let's all pray that it does, at least until next Wednesday when I have the second Taxol infusion anyway.

If things are normal, I should behave normally. Right? Right. Of course, I'm NOT. Normal should be eating appropriately, walking regularly, writing down what I eat, counting the calories, and working at the weight loss. So far that has not happened. Hm...why is that? I guess because I am still, deep down, concerned and depressed about the cancer. When I'm upset, I eat. I am the kind of person who deals with their problems by overeating. I talked about Binge Eating Disorder (BED) in a much earlier post, and I think I even included some links to it. I'm pretty sure, without a professional diagnosis, that this fits me to a "T."

I read somewhere once that the brain can only cope with so much at a time. That's probably very true. I can only focus on a few things at a time, and there is only so much "control" to go around. Right now, even though I feel healthy without debilitating side effects, I am still worried and a bit depressed about my diagnosis. Yes, I'm near the end of the chemotherapy, but there are no guarantees with this disease. Until literally years have gone by, the radiation is over, and the hair has returned, I don't think I'll feel free of it. It's not an uncommon reaction in BC women to feel that threat hanging over their heads for years and years. Some women escape the recurrence and some don't. There is no way to know which woman I am until years have passed. I only hope that at some point I can put the fear and depression (and yes, still some residual anger) aside and focus on something else like a more healthy lifestyle and continued weight loss. Today I just don't feel like I'm there yet.

On a happier note, because I do feel so well, Mark and I went to the mall yesterday to buy a few last minute gifts. While there, we decided to see the new Harry Potter movie since the timing was working out. I enjoyed it, but it's been so long since the last one and since I read the books that I barely remembered the plot line. Ah, it didn't really matter. I still liked it.

Lowell came over for DVDs and dinner, our usual Thursday. Mark made "waffles and wings," a dinner he had heard about on the Food Channel. Gladys Knight owns a restaurant in Atlanta that serves this as a specialty, so we had decided to try it. We were able to get pareve waffles, buffalo wings, and fried drumsticks at Seven Mile Market, the kosher grocery store. With broccoli and salad, it was a wonderful dinner. I love fried chicken, so that was a real treat. Ha Ha! If I was on my usual diet regimen, I would NEVER eat any of this! Sigh. Oh, but it was so delicious!!

Today I plan to read, write a few more Christmas cards, and take a walk. I have already not eaten an appropriate breakfast, but the rest of the day could still be good. At least I'll try to be good.

3 comments:

  1. I am so impressed with your honesty. I think that your blog will probably help other BC women realize that they are not alone in how they feel. I am so glad that you feel healthy and free from Taxol side effects at this time. I hope that you can be kind to yourself for now and just worry about getting throught the BC treatment and then move on to weight loss after that. You are in my thoughts/prayers today. I am sorry that you have BC, but I am so glad that I have gotten the chance to meet you online. I enjoy reading what you have to say in your blogs very much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Rhonda. I hope you know that I think about you every day, too, and that I am also glad that we have been able to connect online. What you are going through is really worse than what I'm doing. You have been dealing with this for so much longer than I have. Wow, yesterday there was so many new posts on the online support group. I read them all, but I was so overwhelmed I couldn't respond yet. I plan to go back on there today and try to write some responses. I hope you have a fabulous weekend. I bet it's cold where you are!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Becky,

    John and I enjoyed having lunch with you and Mark. :-)

    Thursday, I picked up Ngoc and Kevin and drove to the Manassas Super Walmart. Kevin was as good as gold while we were there. Ngoc told me that he has grown to 32 lbs and 32 inches and needs a new car seat. He certainly has come along way since his birthday, last Dec 31st! Btw, Ngoc says hi.

    Oh, John wanted me to tell you that he thought I said your waffles had wings! LOL

    Well, I am praying for a nice pain-free weekend for you.

    Love,
    Bev

    ReplyDelete