Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Up one



Yes, up one today. My weight is up one. Last Tuesday I weighed in at a horrible 237, and today I'm up one. I actually thought I would be down one. Just goes to show I have no idea until I step on that scale.

OK, another week is starting; another chance to eat right is about to begin.

Today also begins chemo cycle #6. This morning I will have my port accessed (not my favorite thing, but I can tolerate it OK now) in order to have blood drawn. My counts will be checked, which takes about an hour, and then I'll meet with my oncologist to assess how I tolerated the Taxol this past two weeks (pretty well!) and decide if I should have the next infusion tomorrow. I'm sure that the counts will be good and that I will have the infusion tomorrow. Two weeks ago I was afraid of having it, but now that I've been through it, I don't fear it. It just takes a really long time, and I know I will doze off from the benadryl. That's OK. I am more nervous about whether the pain levels at the end of the week will be worse than last time. These drugs can cause cumulative effects. I hope not, but it will be what it will be.

Also my 14 day course of Flagyl for the C Diff ends today at 3 p.m. when I take the last pill. I hope it worked this time, but I have a sneaking feeling that it didn't. Although I have no pain from it and the frequency is down to 4-6 times a day (from the 10-12 times two weeks ago), I do not believe it is entirely gone. I will not be surprised if by next weekend it has returned. I'll know right away, and I have a prescription for another 14 days of Flagyl that is undated in my purse. I can go right back on it, but it will be depressing if I have to do that. I'll keep everyone posted.

On a happier note, let me talk about my kids, always one of my favorite topics. Lowell is joining us for TV and dinner tonight in addition to Thursday. His grad school classes at the University of Baltimore are over for this semester, so we have decided to try to double up our episodes of How I Met Your Mother in order to try to finish the series before I leave here at the end of January. It will be fun for me; I hope it's fun for him, too. On Sunday he and Emily went to the Terps basketball game at the new Comcast Center, courtesy of a Hanukkah present from Cindy to Lowell. Although the Terps lost, it was a close game, and I heard from Lowell that it was fun to see the Comcast Center. He is a University of Maryland alum (as are Cindy and I), but he was gone before the new center was built and had not been there before. Cindy even included a parking pass!

Evey had a spectacular weekend in Southern California. She and Eric flew to the LA area and stayed with his aunt in Mission Viejo. They had quite a long delay Saturday morning trying to get out of San Jose because of fog in the south, but once they got there, they had a great time. They spent all day Sunday at Disneyland and Disney's California Adventure parks. The new World of Color show is up and running at DCA, and Evey really wanted to see it. It sounds like Evey and Eric did everything they wanted to do at the parks and enjoyed themselves very much. On Monday, she complained about how HOT it was!! Ha ha!! Hard for us on the East Coast to relate to that. They spent some time at Laguna Beach. Wow! What a weekend for them.

1 comment:

  1. I will be thinking of you tomorrow when I am having chemo. I hope that everything goes very well for you tomorrow. It sounds like fun to spend the evening with your son tonight. It sure is hard to appreciate people's complaints about the heat as it's been really cold here in Iowa too. But I know that if I was where it was really hot I would be complaining too. Have you made any plans on what you might like to get accomplished on Thursday with your "extra energy" yet? I hope that your Thursday will be fun whatever it includes. After tomorrow you will only have 2 more doses of chemo won't you? Is that cruise starting to sound closer to you yet? I hope that you are looking forward to it--you deserve it. Have a good night!

    ReplyDelete