Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Good Day!

We went to the cancer center this morning for my blood work and visit with the oncologist. Both went well. Despite having a cold and still being on Flagyl for the C Diff, everything else is perfect. My blood work is all normal, so I will be having Taxol tomorrow at 9:30 a.m. That will be number 7!! It's really finally coming to an end in just a few more weeks.

I asked the doctor how many times I could keep going on Flagyl for the C Diff. She sort of shrugged and basically indicated that I could do it indefinitely. She also said that if it persisted and I was still here with her, she would refer me to an infectious disease doctor to keep working on it. In addition, she hinted that being on the chemotherapy could be prolonging it. This gave me some hope that if I can't beat it entirely before the chemo ends, then surely I can when it's over.

She sent me out with another undated prescription for the Flagyl since this current course of treatment will end on Friday. She also said that when I come back for my final visit with her, she will write me an undated prescription for a three-week supply of Flagyl (usually it is a 2 week supply) so that I can take that much onto the cruise ship with me in February, just in case! I think that's a great idea. A better idea would be that it's gone by February 14, but it's always better to be safe than sorry.

I also asked her about taking Florastor, as I have been reluctant to add an over-the-counter drug without her permission. Shockingly, she had never heard of it. She had a good suggestion, though. She said print out some information on it from the web and bring it in tomorrow to show the inhouse pharmacists who prepare the chemo drugs. She thought that they should be able to do a little research and tell me if it's safe to take or not. Later today Mark will be printing out this information.

So all in all, this was a good doctor's visit. I am very happy that I had no real side effects from the Taxol last time, other than staying up all night after I get it and a bright red face from the Decadron glow that lasted about 48 hours. If that's all that happens this time, I can handle that!!

Today is also weigh-in day. I said last week that I had hit a new high of 240. Ha! That's nothing! I have shattered that record by a whopping four more pounds. So the new high today is 244. YIKES!! This is SO BAD!

I actually woke up this morning with a new resolve to try to put the brakes on things. There's only so much I can do as long as I want to keep eating all these pre- and pro-biotic foods, but there is definitely a few things I can do. One is to write it down again. Last week when I played Mah Jongg, Arlene gave me a Mickey Mouse pen set and notebook. I took it and I said, "I know exactly what I'm going to do with this." That's all I said, but I started doing it today: writing everything down that I eat. I have had 300 calories for breakfast: 1 pack of instant oatmeal (140), 1 Activia lite yogurt (80), 2 Morningstar sausage links (80). For lunch I have had 705 calories. That's too much, but dinner should be low. I had a Hungry Girl barbequed chicken wrap leftover from dinner last night (250), 1/2 cup of sauerkraut (50 NASTY calories!), 2 slices of sourdough bread with 2 T of Smart Balance lite margarine (300), and 1 cup of blueberries (85). The sauerkraut, sourdough bread, and blueberries are all from the list of foods good for helping to clear up C Diff.

Tonight's dinner is salad (about 120 since I put parmesan cheese on it) and a TV dinner (220 in a Lean Cuisine). This is about the lowest calorie dinner I ever eat, 340. So if I keep snacking to a minimum, today's calories should stay well under 2000. Considering I have been eating between three and four thousand, this is a huge improvement. Now if I could only get a little exercise in the day, but it's so cold outside!

Tomorrow they will give me lunch at the chemo center. Lunch always consists of a sandwich, soup, bag of chips, and 2 cookies. They also bring all the drinks and snacks you want. I have been overindulging and taking real Coke and a few packs of snack crackers or Oreos while I'm there. I am resolved to have only decaf coffee or tea without anything in it and NO snacks. I'm really not worried about the lunch itself. I figure it's good for me! Dinner will be salad and the low-calorie, low-carb, low-fat spaghetti that Mark makes every Wednesday. That whole dinner is under 500 calories. As long as I eat the same breakfast as this morning and limit snacking, that should be another good day.

The other thing I can start doing is hide the scale. There's never a reason to hop on and off every single day. I was better when I only got on the scale Tuesday mornings. I'm going to ask Mark to hide it again like he used to do for me before we moved. I can also start drinking more water. I've been drinking only one bottle of water and that during the night. During the day, once tap water didn't taste good, I have been drinking more juices and other things with calories. Right now I have some diet soda without caffeine that I can have, but in general I need to keep myself full with liquids or vegetables. I know how to do these things; I have just not been doing them. It's hard! Anyway, I'm going to try, and I'll let you know how it goes.

7 comments:

  1. I am so glad that you are set for your Taxol tomorrow. It sounds like you have a good plan for eating. I am so glad that the dr is going to give you plenty of Flagyl to help you thru your cruise if need be. It will be great when you get to Florida and can start exercising with your wii again. I was doing sword play on the wii sports resort this am. I was sweating from that. It was fun and it felt good. Hope you have a good night tonight. I will be thinking of you while I am at my chemo tomorrow.
    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  2. So we'll both be in chemo tomorrow! How about that. I'll think of you, too. How long does your infusion take? You have a long drive to get there, don't you? Good luck. I'll be up all night tomorrow night, I bet. I should get some good movies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you got a good report from the doctor and got enough meds just in case for the cruise. Hope all goes well with chemo tomorrow. Good luck with your new eating plan - I'm sure when you can exercise more, you'll see a big difference.

    Love,
    Nadine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Becky and Rhonda, good luck with your chemo treatments. I should have # 7 Taxol on Thursday, Dec. 30th if my blood counts are OK. Becky, hang in there with the weight loss program. I'm not trying too hard as I was told by my Oncologist not to diet while on chemo. I have actually lost a little but that's because everything tastes terrible and I'm not eating like I would otherwise. Even tap water tastes salty. That has been my taste problems on Taxol. Becky, I hope we can stay in touch once you retire to FL. as I'd very much like to know how things are going. You will reach that goal weight, I know you will because you are a strong, determined woman.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oops, forgot to sign my name,

    Juanita

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also hated the tap water here for a long time. I had to go to bottled Deer Park water. I also couldn't stand coffee, which normally I love. Now that I'm on Taxol these things are tasting better again. Weird. I had worse taste disruptions on the A/C treatments. I have been hungry all the time, but someone told me steroids do that. I like to overeat anyway, so it's always a struggled to hold back. Still, I'm going to try. Thanks for the encouragement. Ha ha about the name. I had guessed it was you, Juanita! Glad for the confirmation though. Good luck tomorrow on the your next Taxol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you're making good use of the Mickey Mouse pad and pens. Writing things down has always worked for me--though I haven't done it in a while. It didn't stop me from taking the first cookie, but it did stop me from taking the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th. Somehow writing things down made me think--do I really want to see this at the end of my day? Great news on your doctor's visit. Sounds more collaborative--which is a good thing. Keep eating healthy--sauerkraut included. Wonder if you can get it on the cruise??? LOL.

    ReplyDelete