Thursday, August 10, 2017

Vocal Nodes

After eight months of hoarseness, I finally saw the ENT doctor today. My self-diagnosis of vocal nodes has proved to be correct.  The exciting thing was that I actually saw my own vocal cords this afternoon and the two nodes that are on them as the doctor used the camera to look.  Other swelling of all the tissues around the vocal cords and other areas of the laryngeal area was also noted.

I thought I was just having a consultation today, but BAM.  He sent that camera up through my nose and down to look at the larynx.  Honestly, I'm glad I didn't know it was coming because I would have worried about it.  It actually turned out to be not anywhere near as unpleasant as I had imagined.  And it was seriously cool to see my own vocal cords!

So...I'm on vocal rest for a minimum of a month as well as three meds for a month and food restrictions like no coffee, tea, or soda.  That's going to be one of the hardest things because I love my coffee.  Not even a decaf in the evening or herbal tea.  UGH.  Water, water, and more water.

The really good news was that the doctor did not see anything cancerous, which was a huge relief to me.  Also he said there is a chance they will go away on their own if I do what he said.

So...I'm going to try to be a good girl and follow all of his instructions.

If they are not looking better at my follow up appointment on Sept. 12, well, then he will send me for Speech Therapy.  Doesn't that sound like fun?

Meanwhile, I had cancelled singing engagements last March, May, and June.  At least I don't feel so bad about doing that now that I know there really is a problem.  I have pulled out of the big choir here in Solivita, Guys and Dolls, at least for this fall season.  It's also going to be a little tricky directing the synagogue choir and getting through the High Holiday performances.  But I can do it.

Yesterday we did have a great time at Disney's Hollywood Studios with Susie and Ed.  Here are some pictures from our afternoon and evening there, including the final time on The Great Movie Ride, which is closing on Sunday.













Frozen Sing-A-Long, very fun show.





Fantasmic show at night




No comments:

Post a Comment