Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Heading north on the auto train today

This is going to be a short blog because I need to pack up the computer very soon in order to be ready to get out the door by 11 a.m.  We are heading to Sanford to board the auto train.  The earlier you check in for the auto train the better your chance of getting a decent time for the dinner seating.

I weighed myself this morning, and I was pretty happy.  I am 276.7 this morning, which is exactly what I weighed last Wednesday.  HAHA!  All week I just gained a few and lost a few.  Still maintenance in my book, but I admit to being happy when I saw that number.  I was less happy when I realized it was the same number as last Wednesday.  Oh, well!

I have planned my breakfast and I have packed a lunch to eat in the train terminal.  Unless the dinner menu has changed significantly on the auto train since June, which I doubt, I know that dinner will be tilapia, rice, and mixed veggies.  If I don't eat the bread and butter and have only the sugar free jello for dessert, I think the dinner calories will be 460, not bad at all.  I think I  can bring today in at around 1100 calories altogether.  That's a great day!

If there is a blog tomorrow, it will be posted in the evening after we are settled in at Cindy's house.

Now to a different topic: diabetes.  I am a poster child for someone who should be a type II diabetic, both my parents became diabetics after age 50 and I have struggled with lifelong obesity.  So far I have not developed that, and I've been checked twice a year for fasting blood sugars and A1C.

Today I'm starting to worry a little.  The last few weeks I have been drinking a lot of water and peeing a lot, but I didn't think anything of it.  When you are drinking a lot, you pee a lot. I'm drinking a lot of water because the ENT said don't drink anything else.  It's hot in Florida.  I drink a lot of water.

BUT, yesterday I realized that for at least a week, I have felt dry as a bone in my mouth, prompting me to be drinking water like a chain smoker, constantly.  As soon as the cup or bottle is empty, I refilled it and kept drinking.  I'm peeing every half hour or so.  Yesterday I decided that is NOT normal and IS a symptom of type II diabetes.  So this morning I made Mark test my fasting blood sugar.

He said, "Oh, you're fine.  It's only 120."  I screamed, "WHAT? I've NEVER been that high."  120 is a good morning fasting number for Mark or for any diabetic, but not for someone who is NOT a diabetic.

Normal is up to 100.  I usually come in at 99, although twice I got a 104 and a 106.  In between those two higher numbers, I had another 98 or 99.  Doctors have never said anything to me about being a diabetic, so to have a fasting number of 120 was stunning and scary!

Officially, you have to have a 126 or higher on two separate tests to be considered a full diabetic.  I do plan to test two hours after I eat today and see what I get.  Once we are at Cindy's, I'll test a few more times.  Meanwhile, trying to continue to lose weight is the best answer because most type II diabetics who are obese can totally reverse it just by weight loss.  Because Mark's been a diabetic since 1976, we both know a lot about the disease and counting carbs.  I have always counted calories but never worried about the carbs.  It's going to be a challenge to add that in to the mix, but I can do it.  The hardest thing will be eating enough lean protein right now until I can chew better on the extraction site.  Fish and eggs are soft, also tuna from a can.  I can eat all of that, so I'm sure I can make some adjustments to lower carb and higher protein.  I have been eating a lot of high carb foods the last two to three weeks because of my teeth, lots of yogurts and soups and canned fruits.  Just carbs, carbs, carbs.  It's possible that the higher sugar number is a result of that and is temporary.

Meanwhile, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this morning's number was just an aberration and that the next test will be back down to normal.  Let's hope.

Next blog, tomorrow night.

No comments:

Post a Comment