Friday, October 27, 2017

Busy two days of doctor visits

Yesterday, Mark and I had our first physical with our new family physician, Dr. Dunn.  We had seen her and her partner, Dr. Weinberger, for a few other things, but this was the big physical, which included a Pap Smear for me.  I have not had one for over two years, so this was a good thing.

We were both very impressed with both her nurse and the Doctor.  She was kind and very thorough.  It was by far the most thorough physical we have had since we moved to Florida. Now we are feeling better about having switched to this office, even though the office staff and the other doctor have let us down a few times. We still have to go back up Monday to get that insurance paper from the other doctor for the cancelled cruise.  That will be TWO WEEKS after it was dropped off.  And they lost the original form Mark left two weeks ago, so he had to drop off a second copy yesterday.

My weight is still the same as Wednesday, and my pain level in the back and hip is still low.  My shoulder is hurting all the time now, so I'm glad I'm seeing that doctor soon.  More and more I fear that I have torn the rotator cuff and will be facing surgery and a long recovery.  UGH.

Today I saw my medical oncologist, Dr. Vijay, for my six month check up.  She was excited to see that I have lost 25 pounds since I saw her on April 26.  She said my Bone Dexa scan did not come back normal this time like all the other times.  Unfortunately, it is now showing mild osteoporosis in both forearms and a lot of it in the right hip.  Oddly enough, the left hip showed improvement.  I have been having pain in both hips when I walk too much.  After the ER visit, I figured it was just the pinched sciatic nerve and arthritis in the spine, but maybe it's related to the bone loss, too.  Who knows!

Both Dr. Dunn and Dr. Vijay examined my breasts.  I have a spot on the cancer side that hurts when i press on it. I think I feel a lump there, but the doctors did not.  Anyway, yesterday Dr. Dunn suggested I should have an MRI, and today Dr. Vijay agreed and ordered it.  I guess it will get scheduled soon.  My mammogram in September was normal, which they have always been, and no matter how many times Dr. Vijay writes on the paper to also have an ultrasound, SimonMed refuses to do an ultrasound.  Neither doctor was pleased to learn that, so that's another reason for the MRI.

This evening Mark and I are joining Susie and Ed for a  concert in the ballroom by a Mamas and the Papas tribute band.  Should be a lot of fun.  Then they are joining us for Shabbat dinner.  Mark made a crock pot beef stew from Diabetic Living.  We'll have a parve tomato bisque, tossed salad, and challah with that.  For dessert I got a fruit salad and made some parve pumpkin muffins. I hope they taste good.  They certainly look great.  I hardly ever bake, so I was pretty pleased with how they turned out.

My morning blood sugars had been normal for about two weeks.  Then yesterday I got a 112 and today it was 107.  I have no idea why, although both doctors are blaming the prednisone.  I took the big packet of it for the six days and have been off it for 2 days now.   Maybe it finally caught up to me.  I have heard that the effects of prednisone can last for months after the pills are gone.  As for reducing the inflammation and pain in my back, I hope that is true!

Mark is reading Haftarah at the synagogue tomorrow, so we will head over there in the morning.  If it's not raining, we are going to Sea World for another of our free pass holder lunches and to see some of their Halloween exhibits.  There is even a special Halloween show at the Pet Theater with the dogs and cats!  If it's raining, we will just come home!




No comments:

Post a Comment