Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Succoth is coming.

Let's start with the Wednesday Weigh-in Report.  Not good.  This morning I was 271, a gain of 3.6 pounds for the week.  Fasting for one day is not helpful when you overeat the rest of the time.

At my appointment about the pre-diabetes, my new family doctor thought that I was not eating enough calories.  Interestingly, Evey also said that.  I have tried to keep the calories around 1200, and when I did that, I lost weight.  This week I was averaging closer to 1800.  The family doctor said that at my current weight, if I ate about 1800, maybe even as high as 2000, I would still lose a pound a week.  I told her that was not going to happen because I've been on and off diets my whole life, and I have a pretty good idea of where that weight loss threshold is.  Well, I think I proved my point.  Averaging 1800 calories a day for this week caused a gain of 3.6.

Sadly, I didn't set out to do that in order to prove her wrong.  I was just binge-eating the Halloween candy a couple of nights and generally overeating snacks several other evenings.  We also ate out a lot this week with the Yom Kippur meal at Landry's Friday night, the break the fast Saturday night, and the Food and Wine Festival for lunch on Monday.

Today we are having company over to eat in our Succah for the first night of the holiday of Succoth.  This couple, Steve and Betty, have never eaten in a succah, so we had promised them the opportunity to do so in our succah this year.  Mark is making a Diabetic Living recipe, so the entree will be fine.  I have to watch myself on the challah and dessert.  Betty is bringing wine and fruit.  I'm still not drinking alcohol, so I'm not worried about that.  I would love to see a pound gone by tomorrow morning.

Friday night we are having dinner in the synagogue's succah.  They are having Make Your Own Tacos, but we aren't sure if they are going to be meat or dairy.  In either case, there is a big chance of over-carbing that night.

Sunday morning early we are flying to Quebec City and will begin 15 days of eating out.  OY!  2 nights in Quebec City and 12 nights on a cruise ship is NOT conducive to weight loss.  My goal for this trip is to have a good time, eat and drink in moderation (or less), and come back home weighing the same as when I left.  There was only one other cruise when I came home at the same weight as when I left.  Usually I'm that typical cruiser who gains a pound a day on a cruise.  That would be so depressing to return from this cruise up15 pounds! OUCH.

In any case, the holiday of Succoth is a happy one.  It is also called the Festival of Booths, which is what the succah sort of is, as well as called the Time of our Rejoicing.  This is truly a happy holiday! I hope everyone who celebrates it is rejoicing.

No comments:

Post a Comment