Saturday, October 21, 2017

Making Progress in every way.

I am encouraged and happy this morning with my progress.  I'm down two and a half pounds from yesterday; I woke up in less pain than any morning for the last two years; and I'm encouraged by my progress on just one exercise routine last night.  Wow!

When I stepped on the scale this morning and got 262.4, I was stunned!  I have now passed that second mini-goal of 265 and I'm moving on to the next goal of 255, how much I weighed at Lowell's wedding in 2014.  I have not been lower than 275 in over a year, so this is really making me happy. In fact for about six months, I was in the 280s or 290s.  I think that I definitely passed a critical number on the weight because my blood sugars have all been normal for about two weeks.  This morning I was 99, a perfectly normal number!

I did the five back exercises that I picked out with Evey to do last night.  I could not do twenty minutes yet.  That's a goal I will work toward.  I did 17 minutes, but most of that time was spent flipping through the booklet looking for the next thing to do and reading about it.  Then when I did it, if it said hold for 30 seconds, I could only hold it for 10 seconds.  I did the right number of reps on four out of five of the exercises.  On the fifth one, I was only able to do one rep out of three called for.  I guess that one has some work to do!  Last night I had exercises on my back, on my tummy, and on my feet.  This morning all five exercises are on my back. I don't know if that matters.  I just arbitrarily assigned five to the morning and five to the evening and left out a couple from the booklet. When I was doing that, I didn't even realize how I had arranged them.

What I did notice last night was that right after I did the exercises, I walked out to the kitchen virtually pain free!  It was wild!  It didn't last long, maybe five minutes, before the pain settled back in, but WOW!  Five minutes pain free was pretty great and very encouraging.   In the morning I'm supposed to put ice on the back for 15-20 minutes and in the evening put heat on it for the same amount of time.  I like heat better than ice, but I'm going to go do the morning exercises as soon as I finish this blog, and then there will be ice.

I also took the pain pill at bedtime along with 5 mg (half a pill) of the Flexeril.  I am sure that's part of the reason why I feel better this morning.  I expect to deteriorate as the day goes along.  At 1 p.m. I'll take five of the prednisone pills from the pack, and that is also probably helping a lot.  Prednisone is known to cause weight gain, but I am down two and a half pounds this morning, so go figure.  I'm not complaining.  Maybe I will still be staying the same for a week or so now.  That's how things have been going recently.   I'll be fine with staying at this weight for a few weeks as long as I don't gain again.  I know that if I do the right things, even if it takes awhile for weight loss to occur, it will definitely happen eventually.

The final thing that I learned from the doctor yesterday was that walking is okay.  It has hurt so much that I have not wanted to walk, and indeed, I felt that I could actually be doing more damage.  The orthopedist said I can not do more damage and the more I walk the better it is.  So that's it.  Walking through the pain is not a bad thing.  I was glad to find that out.

Mark is heading out to shul today, but I didn't get up in time to add exercise and ice time and all this writing of a blog and some lengthy emails this morning, so he is going alone.  Sorry, Mark.  Once I get my new morning routine established, I can probably start fitting everything in and still get out to shul by 9:30 or 10.  Have fun there without me.  There's a bat mitzvah this morning, and that's another thing I like to avoid.  It's always crowded and there's always a sit down luncheon or at least a lot more food.  Of course, we can just leave and eat at home, which is what Mark is most likely going to do, but I always like to sit and socialize with friends during the luncheon.  It feels sad to walk away.  And then I eat too much.  Yah, I know I need to learn to deal with social eating situations outside of the house.  Baby steps, right?  It's a lifetime of bad habits that have to be changed permanently.  So far, I have changed them temporarily every time I lost weight, but I never kept the weight off because I always went right back to my bad habits of overeating at restaurants and parties and social situations. That is really something that takes a lot of will power for me!

Hope everyone reading this has a lovely, restful Shabbat.


No comments:

Post a Comment