Saturday, January 1, 2011

1/1/11

One of my Facebook friends posted the date and said, "We are all one. What better thought could there possibly be for a new year?" I agree.

I am following my New Year's Day tradition, watching the Tournament of Roses Parade. I have always loved watching it every year. It's just so beautiful. This year there is a local connection. Delaney High School, a Baltimore County school, is one of the select few high school marching bands in the parade. They spent the year fund-raising and then almost didn't get to go. The day they were scheduled to fly out was the snowstorm when all the flights were canceled. They were told they couldn't fly until January 2. Obviously, that would be too late. Continental Airlines came to their rescue and brought out an extra plane to get them there in time. What a story! I'm excited to see those kids on the TV marching in this parade.

It's that time when people make New Year's Resolutions. For most of my life, I have only made one resolution: lose weight. Some years I did; some years I didn't. So this year, I'm making a longer list of resolutions.

1. BEAT CANCER!! Yes, I think I can beat cancer in 2011. I'm off to a good start. Only one chemotherapy session will be in 2011. I can't wait for this to be over.

2. LOSE WEIGHT. Well, of course, I still have to say that. I've gained back too much not to get concerned. I also feel pretty confident that I have the tools and the knowledge to do it once I am not stressed from the chemotherapy anymore.

3. HAVE GOOD TIMES with family and friends. This can encompass a lot of things. Evey's wedding will be in 2011, so that's a milestone. Living in our dream home will be in 2011, and I can't wait for that to happen. We hope to host a lot of friends in our guest suite (with private bath!) during this year and for many years to come.

That's about it. I don't think I need any more resolutions. If you want, you can share your resolutions with me either as a comment on the blog or in a private email or FB message. I love to hear from everyone.

I hope everyone had a safe night last night on New Year's Eve no matter what you were doing. Happy, Happy, Happy thoughts to everyone for a fabulous 2011.

5 comments:

  1. Well, here's a PS to the blog. Neither ABC nor NBC showed Delaney's band. I did notice that a band was marching, unannounced, as the stations went to commercials. They did show several high school bands. One of them was from PA, and they had the same story as Delaney. The network mentioned the blizzard and how their flight got canceled. It was reported that the President of the Rose Parade spoke with Continental Airlines until he convinced them to provide the extra plane to get those kids to the parade. I suspect he was doing the same for Delaney. I'm happy that the local Delaney kids got to go and fulfill their dream of marching in the parade. I'm sad for them that they didn't get any air time and that the good human interest story about the flights was told for the Downington, PA kids instead. I still enjoyed all the floats, but I was disappointed not to see the hometown band.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PPS I'm having a lot of aches and pains today. Today feels more like the first Taxol infusion than the second. Just goes to show you can never predict how any chemo session will end up. It's not bad enough to want the oxycodone yet, but it's a lot more than I expected. I suspect it will be over by tomorrow, so I'll just hang in there today. I'm going to have a stay-home, low-key day anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All the best, Becky. i will be in Florida April 18-21. Maybe we will get together. Flying in to Tampa and home from Orlando.
    Trying to be more patient this year and not worry about stuff that is inconvenient or expense.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope that your pain starts getting better soon. I hope that you have a great day today. Only one more chemo for you sounds so wonderful. I am very happy for you. My first two new years resolutions are 1.to fight cancer and 2.to start tracking all of the food that I eat to help not gain weight during chemo treatment. (Just wanted to thank you again for the encouragement you gave me for #2 without meaning to by your honesty with your own challenges with dieting and tracking food intake. I am on the 3rd day of tracking my food and already it has been helpful)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you Rhonda. It is really important to write down what you eat and try to get the calories as close as possible. I learned that from Weight Watchers back in the '80s. I was pretty successful with them back then, but then I got pregnant with my daughter! Ha ha! Gained it all right back. I started going back to WW in the early '90s to lose the "baby" weight, and I did pretty well again for awhile. I was in an accident and couldn't go for months, and that was the beginning of the end for me. Between 1992 and 2000, I gained over hundred pounds. Sad, but true. Anyway I have tracked my food today and I walked 30 minutes. If I have inspired you to track your food, I'm happy! Keep at it, and let me know how it's going for you!

    Robin, patience is always good. Let me know how it goes for you.

    ReplyDelete