Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Like a Bad Penny

The picture is of me, Don, and Sharon at Kelsey's Irish pub in Ellicott City last night. Mark took it of the three of us while we were waiting to order. I took my scarf off so Don and I could compare our bald heads. He joked that he had more hair than I do, and it's NO JOKE!! Sharon and I went to high school together, and I think that's the last time I saw her. It was a lot of fun to talk about those old days.

I slept in until 8:15 a.m. this morning. That's what happens when you don't have any alarms going off, I guess. At 8:30 I realized the C Diff had returned like a bad penny. I didn't want to believe it. I went off the Flagyl last Friday morning, and I had four great days. I really started to believe that this was the time that it was gone. Well, it had other ideas. I have now been in the bathroom two times within a half hour, and I am also starting to feel those terrible cramps that come along with C Diff. Mark is going out to shop in a little while, so he'll be filling my next prescription for the Flagyl again. The oncologist did kind of hint that as long as I was on chemotherapy, it would be very hard to get rid of C Diff. Maybe she's right. Maybe I just need to stay on Flagyl until the chemo is out of my system. Maybe then it can finally get brought under control. I was told not to take Florastor until I was off chemo, so around the end of January, I can start taking it as a supplement.

It's weigh-in Tuesday also. I tried to track my food this week, but I didn't do a really good job of it. I never had a day with less than 2000 calories, and I had several days with significantly more calories. I only took a walk once during the week. Last night I had fish and chips with cole slaw at the Irish pub. It was a lot of fun, but also a lot of calories. We ate lunch out, also, but Lonestar now prints the calories of all its foods in the menu. I had the 7 oz. grilled salmon and rice pilaf for 490 calories and a side of asparagus for 80 calories. Mark and I also shared a mushroom and cheese appetizer that did not have a calorie count listed. Mushrooms are very low, but there was a lot of cheese. I estimated 300 calories for that. So lunch was 870 calories. No matter what I ate last week, I still dropped one pound to 243 this morning. I guess I should just be happy about that. I can't say I'm really happy this morning because of the return of the C Diff. Flagyl works well and quickly to keep it under control. When I'm on Flagyl, I don't have any symptoms. I'm comfortable at least, so that's something anyway.

Today our friends Bev and John canceled coming up for lunch. They both have bronchitis, and their doctor said not to be around me until they were on antibiotics for 24 hours. That will be too late for them to be here for lunch. Hopefully we can reschedule for a few weeks from now. Meanwhile Lowell is coming over for TV and dinner tonight, so he'll get to have the waffles and wings and cole slaw we were going to serve Bev and John for lunch today. It won't be a low calorie dinner for me tonight, but we already have the food here. After dinner, Mark, Lowell, and I will be going to Saul's house for the shiva minyan for his beloved dad, Seymour. I expect there will be a large crowd there.

Happy Birthday to my wonderful sister-in-law Denise. I hope your day is awesome!!

3 comments:

  1. Becky,

    Love the picture of you and your friends and am glad you had a good time. I'm so sorry to read the c-diff is back. I'm hoping if nothing else, once the chemo is done, you don't see the c-diff again! Sounds like you are on your way with your last chemo. I'm so excited for you and Mark come Feb. 1 when you will be in that dream home in FL. Becky, I hope for you that 2011 sees you cancer free and that you and your husband have a long and happy life in retirement.

    Juanita

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks you SO MUCH, Juanita. I want those things so bad. I can only hope and pray that all of it comes true! Right now, I'll be happy if the Flagyl kicks in quick and takes care of the C Diff for another two weeks. I'll see the oncologist next Tuesday and I know she'll be disappointed to know it returned, but she's ok about writing another prescription, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute picture of you and your friends. You look like you were having a fun time with them. I am so glad that you have more flagyl to start on. You will get rid of the c diff some day. And that "some day" is coming up soon as you will soon be done with chemo. I hope that you and your husband have some sort of celebration planned for when you are done with chemo. I am getting excited for you to be done with chemo and get going on the rest of your life without cancer. I hope that you can have a good day today in spite of that horrible c diff. Take care. You are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete