Friday, January 7, 2011

Insurance and Doctors

Part of our chores for yesterday was to pick out new doctors for Florida. In addition to a Family Practice doctor, I need an oncologist, a radiation oncologist, and a gynecologist. Mark needs an endocrinologist and a cardiologist. To complicate matters, he has a new federal government Blue Cross Blue Shield program that requires him to use in-network doctors, and I have a new CIGNA plan that also must use in-network doctors. Mark is doubly insured since I still have him on my plan, so we had to pick out doctors (that we've never heard of) that aren't too far from our new house and accept both types of insurance.

Fortunately both plans have excellent websites that list the doctors, so finding doctors in both plans wasn't too hard to do. Still, we have no idea whether we will like them or not, but we can always change again later if we don't. In the meantime, I need to be seen by the oncologist and radiation oncologist within a few days of arriving in Florida so my treatment can continue smoothly.

Once we picked out the doctors, I called them to introduce myself and try to make appointments. No one would make appointments for us until they received our records from the doctors up here. Hm...so our plans to go to the museum were put off to some future date. Instead we went to the hospital and to the doctors' offices in Columbia and Catonsville to sign papers to get our files sent to Florida. It all went smoothly, but it was kind of a lot of driving around. Still, the files should be on their way, and next week I can call back and try to get those appointments with the oncologists set up. So much to do! There's always a lot to do when you move, but changing insurance and having to keep my treatment going without interruption adds a little to the pressure.

Lowell and I enjoyed a lot more episodes of How I Met Your Mother last night. There are only two more Thursdays when Lowell can come over, and we think we have 12 episodes left to finish season five. It looks like we'll have no trouble doing that. I sure am going to miss my Thursdays with Lowell.

I also had a lot of fun late last night g-chatting with Evey about wedding plans. That never gets old!!

Today I have absolutely NO PLANS!! I think I might go to the grocery store to buy some more decaf coffee in Keurig cups, but then again, I might not even get dressed at all today. I'm currently reading four books simultaneously, so I might make some progress in each of them. I'm also going to try to stick to my diet plan. I have already written down the foods I should eat today. If I don't stray, it will be about 2200 calories and included the hated sauerkraut. I'll let you know tomorrow if I stuck to it or strayed.

2 comments:

  1. I am so happy that you are doing well today. It will be great for you to get all of this moving work done. Good luck on sticking with your food plan today. I still have both of my kids living at home with me so being without them for an extended time period and missing them is still an experience that I have to look forward to in the future. Have a good time reading today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are beginning to make plans for FLorida - how exciting! We are going to miss having you sooo close!

    ReplyDelete