Friday, January 14, 2011

New plans

Yesterday when I went to the surgeon's office for my pre-op, I remembered that the oncologist said to get the port removed but not when my white cell counts are down. So what did I do? I accepted the time they gave me for next Thursday without realizing that that is the day my counts are at their LOWEST! Oops. I told the surgeon, and he was very, very accommodating. They did all the arrangements to switch it to Tuesday, January 25 in the morning. I was so grateful for that. Now I'll have that down in the morning, get my final blood draw in the chemo center through a regular vein, and visit my oncologist for my last check up all on the same day. Wow! That will literally be my last time at St. Agnes.

Also some of my plans yesterday didn't work out, all due to my forgetfulness. Maybe I can blame it on chemo brain! We left the surgeon's office in plenty of time for us to drive over to the hospital. Mark had to drop me off this time since he had to get to Laurel, nearly 20 miles from the hospital, for his endocrinologist's appointment. My shot was for 4:05. Then Lowell was going to come about 5:15 to pick me up. That way we could go home and start watching our DVDs. Well, that would have been great except for one thing. When I pulled up to the hospital, I just hopped out of the driver's seat and went in to the hospital. Mark slid over and drove off, with my set of keys still in the ignition. I never thought about that until Lowell and I got to the house and realized we were locked out! I had no keys!! It was about 5:50. I thought Cindy would be back by 6:30 and Mark should have arrived maybe 20 minutes later. So what to do? Well, it was freezing cold, so we weren't going to just sit on the doorstep. We drove five minutes down the road to a local coffee shop called Evergreen and bought some lattes. It was nice because I had never been in there before, so it was fun to see a new place, but I also had lots of extra time just to talk with Lowell and find out what's going on in his life, a nice bonus to locking myself out. Mark beat Cindy home, arriving about 6:50; Cindy got back at 7. We only got to watch two episodes of our show, but we had a great dinner. It was a fine evening after all.

Today we have to drive back to Laurel because there was a snafu with Mark's meds and they weren't ready at the pharmacy. That was weird, but hopefully we can get them today. As long as we are in Laurel, there will be other errands to do as well: bank, liquor store, grocery store, lunch out, maybe even the car wash. It should be a fine day as long as I don't get much bone/muscle pain from the Taxol. Sometimes it starts on Friday and sometimes it doesn't. The best thing is that this is the LAST time I have to think about this!

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad that you got to have a nice time with your son last night. I hope that your pain doesn't get too bad. It's so wonderful that it is the last time you will get it. Do you and your husband get the e-mails from Hungry Girl? There was a wonderful one today which talked about faux frying, oatmeal and egg mugs and tofu shirataki. I haven't cooked tofu shirataki after I tried it the first time but I am excited to try it again. Have a good day with all of your errands. My husband is at work now but we are talking about going to see the Fockers movie tonight. It sounds pretty funny to me. I will let you know what I think of it if we go and see it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, so far no pains at all! We are trying to set up the appointments with doctors down in Florida. It's so difficult to do but the internet makes it much easier than it must have been decades earlier. LOL I don't get emails from Hungry Girl. I should ask Mark if he does. Did you know she has a TV show now? I can't remember what channel or network because we don't get many channels here in my sister's house. Oh, Mark just told me her new show is on the cooking channel. Mark said he doesn't like to get emails so he just goes to her website everyday and checks it. He says it is the same stuff. I always rely on him to tell me what's going on with her! LOL Hope you enjoy the movie. Let me know.

    ReplyDelete