Tuesday, January 11, 2011

D O W N, DOWN, down, dn

Yes, this week I finally went down in weight. Well, actually I went down one pound from 244 to 243 last week, but this week I really felt that I had worked harder at keeping my calories lower. I have been rewarded with a four pound weight loss. This morning I'm only 239. WHOEE!! I'm excited to be out of the two-forties because it was just getting too scary at how much I had put back on. If I can spend the next three weeks behaving myself, I might get out of the two-thirties by the cruise on Valentine's Day.

This afternoon I go to the cancer center to have my blood drawn for labs and meet with the oncologist. This is not the last time I have to do these two things because after the last chemo infusion tomorrow, I still have to come back two weeks later for a final blood draw, labs, and doctor's appointment for a follow-up. They will want to be sure I have recovered well from this last infusion. I have felt quite well this past week, so I have no doubt that my blood work today will be completely normal. For the first time, I'm excited to be going to the cancer center!

We made a hotel reservation at a Holiday Inn Express that is just three miles away from the cancer center. The snow should start around 4 p.m. and be heaviest from 8 p.m. to about 2 a.m. tomorrow, and some reports still call for four inches or more. I don't care how much snow is coming anymore. The reservation has been made, so we are going. This way we have a short drive into the hotel today when we get out around 3:30 or so this afternoon. We plan to hunker down and go nowhere else until tomorrow morning. This way if the roads are slick or snow covered, I only need to drive three miles to get that final infusion tomorrow morning. I don't want anything to stop that!

The countdown is now at 16 days left in Baltimore.

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the weight loss. 16 days left in Baltimore sounds wonderful. You will be in my thoughts and prayers during your chemo tomorrow. I can't wait to hear that it is over for you and that it went well. You have done so wonderful getting through chemo with the extra challenges that were thrown your way along the way. I hope that you are very proud of yourself at this time! Have a good day tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No snow yet here in Silver Spring and it's 5:30. I could feel it in the air when I was walking Gump, but ...
    Anyway, great news about your weight. It makes sense that now that you're more in control of the chemo, you're starting to regain control of your weight. Keep it up--oh wait--I mean down. Well, you know what I mean.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we have missed the snow again - maybe just a bit during the night. I am more concerned
    about my relatives in New York and Massachusetts,
    but the MA relatives are better at dealing with it. I am so happy for you that you are feeling better and losing some of the weight that was a
    concern for you. I wish you all the best with the final chemo session and your continued journey into recovery and good health.

    Love,
    Nadine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone. I had a good check up with the doctor today. She gave me two more undated prescriptions for Flagyl just in case and told me to call the surgeon to schedule a time to get my port removed. Whoee! That's a milestone, too.
    We are now hunkered down in the Holiday Inn Express watching the snow fall. It started pretty late, much later than originally predicted, but the cars and parking lot are snow covered and the main road, Russell Street, is thickly coated with slush. I'm glad we're in the hotel and not in the house. They even have a shuttle that would take me to the hospital tomorrow if I can't do it with the car. Nice. I also got a big discount because this hotel has a deal if you're here for a hospital visit. I didn't know that, but when I checked in I happened to mention to the very nice desk clerk why we were here. He said he would give me the discount AND the parking became free. Saved us $25 altogether!! The room is lovely and we cranked up the heat to 74 degrees. We feel toasty warm and happy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow--getting your port removed is a wonderful milestone. I am so happy for you. Hope you have a wonderfully easy day tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete