Saturday, January 29, 2011

Offline for a few days






Our internet went out Wednesday evening during the big snow storm. This afternoon in the hotel is the first time I've had to get back online. Sorry if any of my loyal readers panicked at my absence. LOL!

The pictures show how heavy and wet the snow was. It took down a small tree in the backyard Wednesday evening which brought down the cable/internet wire. During the middle of the night, I heard a big noise, but I thought it was just a branch. Turns out the really gigantic tree in Cindy's back yard toppled down completely. Fortunately it went to the side and did not hit our house or much of the neighbor's house. It crashed into the picket fence, broke a window pane in the neighbor's house, and damaged a little corner of the roof on his house. It pulled the electric wire in very odd directions, but miraculously we did not lose power. The electric company came Thursday and re-wired it safely. It was just amazing.

We left Friday, and I felt a little like I was getting out of jail. Wow, I'm finally free to move about the country!

It took us hours to get out of the house. I couldn't believe Mark was able to get everything into the car. It was a true engineering feat, only rivaled by some of the car-packing jobs Evey has done in the past to get to and from college. When we left, it was snowing. It was pretty, but it did not affect our drive. The only thing that affected our drive was an accident on Long Island that backed up the expressway all the way to the entrance of Brooklyn over the Verrazano Bridge. Just insane! We covered only 8 miles in two hours. Frustrating, but we got to the hotel safely around 6 p.m.

We had a blast at the rehearsal dinner last night. It was fun to catch up with our friends and see the bride and her groom. This morning we ate breakfast in the hotel with everyone and then Rabbi Ron, the father of the bride, led Shabbat services in the hotel. It was awesome!

Now I'm killing some time in the hotel breakfast area, schmoozing with friends, and typing this blog. It's hard to stay focused on it because people keep coming around to talk. I don't mind!

One thing that is fun to report: I HAVE FUZZ growing in. YES! There is a soft peach fuzz growing on my head! I noticed it for the first time Thursday night. I rubbed my head and I realized that the patches that were smooth skin were no longer smooth! I even made Mark come over and rub my head to see if it was my imagination. No, it's not my imagination. I HAVE PEACH FUZZ on MY HEAD!!! Hallelujah!

3 comments:

  1. And it's good luck to rub a head with new hair growing in. Rub it often. Glad you are safely in Long Island and having a wonderful time. Your journey has restarted and all I can say is enjoy every minute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOOHOO!!! Glad all is well. We lost power for almost 16 hours!! New storm coming Tuesday. Be safe and all the best.
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations for your hair growing. I am very glad that you stayed safe in the storm. I am glad you are enjoying the wedding. It's probably about time for us to get a big storm in Iowa. Take care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete