Monday, January 10, 2011

Big Week coming UP!

Today begins the week of my last chemotherapy session. I never thought this week would come when I first started this journey. In some ways it feels like it was a long time ago that I sat in my empty house of 29 years, crying after hanging up the phone when the surgeon gave me the bad news. In some ways it feels like yesterday. In any case, this is the week that I will have my last chemotherapy infusion, and that feels AWESOME!

Meanwhile, today I'm going to drive to Silver Spring and take my good friend Jan out to lunch. She has suffered excruciating back pain for years, and in December she finally had a very complicated surgery. I am thankful that she is recovering well and able to go out to lunch with me today. When I was recovering from my surgery and starting chemo in the fall, she was one of the ones who came up here to take me out to lunch. It was obvious that day how much pain she was in, yet she made the effort to drive an hour to come up here and try to comfort me. I appreciated it very much. Today I hope I can comfort her a little bit.

There is supposed to be four plus inches of snow coming tomorrow afternoon into the night. Mark and I have been wimping out on every snow forecast this year. He has always hated snow. I like it when I get to stay in and watch it. I'm not crazy about shoveling it or driving in it. Saturday I canceled all my plans, and then there was virtually no snow. I could have done everything and not worried, but I went with "better safe than sorry." This time I'm concerned the snow will interrupt my appointments at the hospital on Tuesday and Wednesday. I have to go tomorrow for labs and the doctor's visit. Those are in the afternoon when the snow should be falling thickly. Right now we are leaning toward checking into a hotel that is only three miles from the hospital tomorrow night. We're hoping those roads are more likely to be cleared than the ones around the house up here. There is high speed internet in the hotel, so I'll still be able to blog!

I did stay on my food plan yesterday, but that meant I ate about 2100 calories. No change in my weight from yesterday morning to this morning. Tomorrow is the morning that counts. Unless I totally blow it eating lunch out today with Jan, I should show about a three pound weight loss for the week. That's a good week. I'll let you know tomorrow morning!

Be safe in the snow tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. I have been rejoicing knowing that tomorrow is your final chemo, Becky! Quite a journey it has indeed been for you and you have shared your journey so openly with all who have followed your blog. The hotel sounds like a great idea---whatever it takes to get this treatment done! Think healing thoughts as you finish this phase of treatment. You are always in my prayers. Much happiness ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The week of your last chemo--how wonderful. I am glad that you will be close to the hospital to make sure you get there. I am very happy for you overall as you make it through this week and get one step closer to your cruise and other fun events that you have coming up. We are getting lots of snow today and tomorrow too. It seems like it is snowing over much of the country today. Have a fun time at the hotel tomorrow if you go. I can't wait to hear when you finish your last chemo!

    ReplyDelete