Monday, January 3, 2011

Funeral today

This morning Mark and I attended the funeral of our friend Saul's father. Seymour Oresky, born in 1924, was a great man. He had three fabulous children, many grandchildren, and a great-grandchild on the way. The synagogue was packed for this funeral in his honor. After the beautiful service, during which his oldest son Alan played the violin so poignantly, we went to the cemetery. It was a clear morning, blustery and cold. That did not stop the large crowd from gathering around the grave for the additional service. As customary at a Jewish funeral, we all took turns shoveling dirt into the grave. This is a deeply spiritual and moving event, at least to me. I think most people find it a very rewarding thing to do.

Our hearts and prayers go out to Saul and Phyllis and the entire Oresky family on the loss of their father.

We were unable to go back for lunch with the Oresky family, although we thanked them for the invitation. Mark and I had to go up to Laurel to get his prescription refilled. Then we went to Pikesville to do some grocery shopping. Tonight Mark is making a tortilla soup, which only Cindy will eat. It will be nice for her to come home from work around 7:30 and find a hot pot of soup waiting for her. Mark and I are going out to Ellicott City to meet two of my high school friends, Don and Sharon, for dinner at an Irish pub. That should be lots of fun!!

I had quite a lot of aches and pains again last night, so I did take two of the oxycodone at bedtime. I find that it really allows me to fall asleep and stay asleep all night. So far today has not been so bad, but there are random stray pains in the joints now and then. If it stays at this level the rest of the evening, I should not need narcotics tonight. That would be nice. Also my cold seems finally to be gone! That's a good thing. Mark got his one week after me, so I predict he will have his until next Monday! So sad for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment