Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Snow Day





We woke up to a lot more snow than we expected. At 7 a.m. it was snowing pretty hard, and all the schools were closed for the day. Last night I called the hotel in NY and canceled our reservation for Thursday night. We are going to drive up on Friday now instead.

Cindy and Lowell each had to go to work, but Lowell said it was OK when he drove in. Tonight is his first grad class for the new semester. It should be snowing pretty hard when he gets out around 8, so I hope he makes it home OK then. Our new snow totals are 8 to 10 inches by tomorrow morning.

Yesterday went very well. The OR got a bit backed up, so instead of going in at 11:30, I went in at 12:45. Even so, I still made it to the oncologist's office by 2:30 for my last appointment. She was very wonderful throughout this whole experience. I will miss her.

I learned that it can take six months to a full year for all of the effects of the chemotherapy to work their way out of my system. That was a bit of news to me. She also thinks I'll see some new fuzzy hair growth in a week or two. That's pretty exciting!!

Our dinner was wonderful, too. First, I learned I have been calling this restaurant by the wrong name all this time! I thought it was Umani's, like someone named Umani owned it. Ha Ha!! NO, it's Umami Bistro. Umami is a word for a savory taste. Hey, I didn't know that, but Mark looked up online. We ate wonderful food with Lowell and Cindy. We toasted Cindy for allowing us to stay in her house this whole time. Then we all got home in time to watch the State of the Union address.

Mark and I are hoping to get out around noon today to go to the grocery store for just a few little items that will help us make it through to Friday morning. Between noon and 4 there is supposed to be a lull in the precipitation before the really heavy snow hits. Since they never plow Cindy's street, I'm not sure we will be able to get our car down the two blocks to the bigger road if there is over 10 inches on it tomorrow. Right now there is only about 2 inches, which I know my little Focus can drive over. I guess tomorrow's blog will let you know if we are successful today and how much snow is out there when it's all said and done. Be safe and warm wherever you are.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, it sounds like you guys are in for some very heavy snow. I am so glad that things keep moving along for you though. The new hair growth sounds very exciting! I am so glad that you are still feeling well. Have a good and warm night tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good call on postponing your trip North. Always better to wait until they have time to clear the snow! Enjoyed my day off from school. Suspect we'll be off again tomorrow. Wow. Just heard thunder and saw a flash of lightening (not in that order). Think I'll shut down the computer for a bit! Just wanted to say the pix are great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad everything went well at the hospital. I was worried about your trip because of the weather. I am glad you have delayed it until Friday to be safe. We had a bit of snow early, then rain, then gradually sleet, and then snow again. All my students cancelled, even when it was just raining and they lived in the same town. Better to be safe than sorry though. Take care and have a safe and enjoyable trip. Love, Nadine

    ReplyDelete