Sunday, January 30, 2011

Wonderful Wedding






After postponing our trip from Thursday to Friday, we got on the road about 11 a.m. with a light snow coming down. We had a long drive up to Riverhead, NY. There was a big accident along the Long Island Expressway that backed traffic up for miles. At one point we covered only eight miles in two hours. Still, we arrived in the nick of time to attend the rehearsal dinner. It was fabulous seeing our friends again. We had not seen Ron and Barbara since Memorial Day Weekend. I think it had been a few years since we had seen their kids. We ate lots of delicious food and enjoyed the great company.

The wedding on Saturday was spectacular. We have known Barb and Ron, the bride's parents, since we were both young couples at Mishkan Torah. Barb had just had Jennie and I was pregnant with Lowell. No matter where they have lived over the last 30 plus years, we have made a point to get together frequently and stay in touch. Evey once told me that she was about 10 years old before she figured out we weren't actually related to them. She is the same age as Barb's twin boys. Sarah was a beautiful bride!

I enjoyed the freedom of being at the wedding and feeling healthy. I drank six drinks (three glasses of champagne, two of Irish whiskey, and a Cosmo) to make up for the six months I didn't drink any alcohol. A shuttle bus brought everyone to and from the hotel to the ceremony, so no one had to worry about the drinking. Even though I had six drinks, it was over a six hour period, so I never really even felt buzzed. I had a great time! I ate way too much, of course, but, hey, it was a wedding. The best part was the dancing. Being on the dance floor and dancing fast and slow dances with Mark made me feel so free, healthy, happy, and normal. It was an awesome feeling.

This morning we said our goodbyes to everyone and got on the road shortly after 10 a.m. We made it smoothly to Ashland, VA for the first of our three day drive into Poinciana. It's cold here tonight in Virginia, but there is no snow on the ground! It's going to be near 80 degrees on Tuesday when we arrive in Poinciana. It's hard to imagine.

For anyone reading the blog who doesn't know our friends, here are some explanations:
Picture 1: Mother-of-the-Bride, Barbara
Picture 2: Barb and Ron's three sons, twins Zak and Ben, and our godson Jesse
Picture 3: Father-of-the-Bride, Ron, with the bride, Sarah, and brother Ben
Picture 4: Proud Papa Rabbi Ron
Picture 5: Mark and me at the reception

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad that you got to the wedding safely. It sounds like you had a wonderful time. I am very happy for you. Eighty degrees in Florida sounds wonderful. I am excited for you to get there. I can't wait to hear updates. I hope that you are still feeling well tonight. Have a good night. I like the pictures that you took.

    ReplyDelete