Friday, January 21, 2011

Final Friday






Well, now I can start counting down the days. This is the last Friday that we will spend at Cindy's house. Mark is making a new Hungry Girl recipe of chicken pizza, where the chicken is the crust, for our Shabbat dinner tonight. In less than a week, we will drive to Long Island for a wedding and then head south to Florida and our new home.

Yesterday we had a great time eating at the kosher Subway for lunch one last time. In fact, we ordered lunch to take out and eat here at the house today. I also tried to take some pictures, but I had forgotten to put the memory card back in my camera, so that was useless. Mark reminded me that I could take pictures on my new phone, so I did. The problem is that I'm not sure I know how to get them from my phone to this blog. If you see pictures here today, then you'll know I was successful. No pictures? No success. LOL

After lunch, we shopped at Seven Mile Market for the last time. It's really a good thing we are moving away because I have way too much fun shopping there and buying so many good things to eat. I wanted to make a celebration with Lowell last night as we finished our DVDs. Mark was making hamburgers for dinner, so I though I would buy some yummy pareve desserts. I got a box of assorted cookies, one radio bar (a rectangular piece of chocolate cake with a huge oval of marshmallow on top, completely drenched in chocolate icing), an eclair, and a piece of apple strudel. Lowell and I shared all of that and ate every bit. UGH. We also finished the fruits from the day before and ate some sourdough pretzels. Hey, at least the word sourdough is in them. I even ate sauerkraut with dinner. Double Ugh. For solidarity, Lowell ate some sauerkraut, too, even though he doesn't like it either. It was such a fun evening, but bittersweet at the same time. We plan to see him Tuesday at the kosher Chinese restaurant Umani's, and then that will be that. I thanked him profusely for coming by every Thursday while I was here. He really helped me get through this difficult time. I so looked forward to those Thursdays. I told him how proud we are of him. He's such a mensch and a good friend to his friends. I could barely contain my tears after he left. I hugged and kissed him at least twice on his way to the door. Sniff. I miss him already.

After shopping, but before we went home, we stopped at the Evergreen. This place was amazing. I would truly recommend that anyone in the area who hasn't been there GO! There is an $8 charge to take the tour of the mansion, but you can get one dollar off with your AAA card. It was built by the B&O Railroad president. The house started out with 12 rooms and over the years was expanded to 48. The rooms are filled with the treasures the Garrett family collected over generations, including over 30,000 rare books. The tour was supposed to go an hour, but after an hour and fifteen minutes, I knew we had a LOT more to do and I couldn't do it. I was feeling weak and sick. I told the docent I needed to leave, so he showed us back to the main exit. I was pleased that I could stand up for over an hour and listen, but I was sad that I couldn't do it all. I really need to build back my endurance. There was also an exhibit of photos from the late 1800s done by a photographer named Curtis. These were pictures of Native Americans. Mark was especially interested in seeing that exhibit (there is no charge for that part), so when I asked to leave the tour at 3:15, it enabled Mark to have a leisurely look at the pictures. That part closed at 4 and he would have been disappointed if we had missed it. All in all, it was a really nice thing to do, even though I wasn't able to finish the tour.

The predicted snowstorm for last night sort of fizzled. We got an inch or two and the roads were icy, so that let the schools go in 2 hours late. We hadn't planned to leave the house today for any reason anyway, so I am content to sit inside and look at the white yard. It's pretty. It's also blustery. Snow is blowing off the garage roof, making it look like a little blizzard in the back yard. Pretty.

So I WAS successful, with some help from Mark, because my pictures were up there. There is only one of the mansion Evergreen, taken as we drove up the driveway. It barely does it justice, but I wasn't able to take any inside. There is just too much art in there, I guess. The Subway pictures aren't that great, but I was hoping to show the similarities and differences between the ordinary Subway and the kosher one. We have heard there is a kosher one in Miami, so maybe when we are down there sometimes for the beach, we'll try to find it.

4 comments:

  1. We got no snow at all!! So far, so good. Hope we have none on Tuesday. Sorry you are not available on Sunday.

    I had diet pudding for dessert. Real desserts are killers. Lost 4 pounds. Hoping for 10 more before next doctor visit on March 15.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad that you had a good day yesterday. I hope that today went well for you. I had a great day. My husband decided to start his byetta injections tomorrow morning. His blood sugar is already coming down a little even without the new drug. Byetta helps the pancreas produce insulin better and also slows down gastric emptying. It is given for type 2 diabetics that could benefit from weight loss. From his picture, your husband doesn't look like he needs to lose weight and so that might be why they haven't tried him on byetta. I am a little nervous because nausea and hypoglycemia are two big possibilities with byetta and my husband is kind of in denial over everything that has to do with his elevated blood sugar lately. I will just stick close with him tomorrow and have a little juice ready for him if needed.

    On the other subject my daughter and I made the cauliflower based pizza tonight. We made a plain cheese pizza because that is the kind that she likes, but you can put any toppings on it that you want. It did not taste like cauliflower. It was hard to get the crust to firm up. It was almost more like a pizza casserole. Both she and I thought it was good. We will try it again tomorrow and see if the crust gets firmer if we don't cut up the cauliflower quite so small. The recipe we used is as follows:
    Rice a cauliflower to get 2 cups of riced cauliflower. Cook cauliflower in the microwave in a covered dish for about 5-6 minutes. (We skipped this step and that must be why our crust didn't get firm) Beat 2 eggs. Mix 2 cups of shredded cheese with the eggs. Mix the cooked cauliflower with the cheese/egg mixture. Pat it down in a pan that you have greased first to make a pizza crust. Cook at 450 degrees fahrenheit in the oven for 12-15 minutes. Take out and put your tomato sauce and toppings and cheese on. The toppings should already be cooked. Return pizza to the 450 degree oven till the cheese melts.

    I am almost falling asleep as I write this. It has been a long day. Tell me if the directions are bad and I will try to correct them tomorrow.

    Have a wonderful weekend. I hope that you keep feeling well and that your c diff stays away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll show Mark the recipe. It sounds good and he is interested in trying. We won't have time to do it until we get home and I'm not sure we have a tool to "rice" something. How do you do that?
    You are right that Mark does not need to lose weight. He is always trying to maintain or gain because he loses it easily. Life is unfair. LOL I sympathize with you dealing with your husband. It's so easy to be in denial. I know because I've been there. Mark is deathly afraid of having to go on insulin or any type of injections, so he is always disciplined about his food and willing to be more restrictive or take more pills rather than go to insulin. He's been type 2 since he was 25!
    Have a great day. Hope you got some sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  4. To rice a cauliflower you can grate it with a hand held grater or chop it into "rice-size" pieces with a food processor using a pulse button. We don't have a food processor so my daughter grated it with the hand-held grater on the second smallest side. Next time we will try the second to largest side on the hand-held grater. I might go ahead and get a small food processor though cause I've noticed lately that my fingertips are a little sensitive and slightly tingly.(I think some beginning neuropathy from my chemo) They're really not that bad, I just want to try and protect them from injury.

    I had a piece of cauliflower pizza for breakfast and it was good. I am so excited that I like something healthy like that. I hope that your chicken pizza was good from yesterday. That sounds interesting to use chicken as a crust.

    I hope and pray that you are still feeling well today and that your c-diff is not coming back. Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete