Sunday, January 23, 2011

Saying Good Bye




Yesterday was a really wonderful day. We left the house about 9:45 a.m. and did not get back until 11:15 p.m. In between, the day was chock full of good byes.

We went to Mishkan Torah synagogue for services. Even though we arrived fairly late, we were in time to be called up for an aliyah. That is always a special honor, and I loved having that honor on our last time at the shul. After services, we just had a great time socializing with all of our friends, hugging, and saying goodbye to everyone. It was hard to leave! Mark did a wonderful thing, which I wish he would have told me about so I could do it with him. He took the time to walk around the building and look at all the plaques there with our names on it. His name is on the plaque for being president; our name is on the Keter Shem Tov plaque; there is a special plaque for each of our kids in honor of the bar/bat mitzvahs; Mark's mother has a memorial plaque. We have been members of this congregation for 35 years, and there are lots and lots of memories there. Two congregants had brought us parting gifts today, also, which was unnecessary but greatly appreciated.

Once we finally left, we headed to Silver Spring to have lunch with our friends Glen and Farlee. We met them when they were members of Mishkan Torah. Our daughters are the same age. Their daughter, Rebecca, is currently living in Jerusalem and getting a master's degree in education in order to teach Judaic subjects in Hebrew schools. She is a beautiful young lady. Farlee prepared lunch for 9 people, and it was delicious. We stayed talking to them until nearly 6 p.m. when it was time to go to Sara and Jeff's house for dinner. Thanks, Farlee, for the fabulous food and fellowship on Shabbat afternoon. There is a very special feeling in your house that is just amazing. Thanks so much for including us in your plans for Shabbat and for all the wonderful times we have gotten together over the last 20+ years!

Dinner with Sara and Jeff was equally wonderful. Saul, Phyllis, Dave, and Evey joined us for dinner. The meal was super delicious, but the companionship and conversation was even better. It was just so comfortable and beautiful to hang out with such good friends for a few hours. Hugging and saying goodbye was very difficult.

Today will be a work day. Mark and I are worried that we have accumulated more stuff here in the last five months than we can get in the car. It's cold today, but Wednesday it's supposed to be rainy with a wintry mix possible. It will also be the day after another surgical procedure, so I might not feel as well then as I do today. So today will be a work day. We are going to completely empty out the car, collect up all the stuff, and start packing it up and re-loading the car. We only need to keep enough for the final three days in the house. We also need to clean out the pantry and refrigerator in the hopes of leaving Cindy's house in the same condition we found it in August, a daunting task.

The best thing about today and the past few days is how well I feel. I feel pretty healthy, not strong and little endurance, but not sick either. That feeling isn't going to change now because I don't have to have any more chemotherapy! I just never get tired of saying that. It's such an empowering feeling. I know there will be some grogginess and tenderness after the surgery Tuesday to remove the port, but it will be short-lived, nothing like the feelings after chemo. NO MORE CHEMO!! No, I never get tired of saying that.

4 comments:

  1. I am so happy that you are feeling well and don't have any more chemo! That is wonderful. I hope that your port removal surgery won't be too bad. I am glad that you and your husband had a good time with friends yesterday. It sounds like a wonderful and very long day. Since you made it ok through all of that maybe your endurance is starting to come back. I hope that you get a lot of work done today. Hopefully it will all seem worth it when you get into the sun in Florida again. Have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rhonda,
    Yes, I hadn't thought about that, but I did not feel tired or dragged out yesterday! You're right, maybe my endurance is starting to come back!
    Today we have worked about five and a half hours, with at least an hour out for lunch. I took it slow and easy, but we made real progress. The car is stuffed and a lot less is in the house.
    I'm saving cleaning out the pantry and refrigerator for Wednesday. I also need to give her stove a real good cleaning. It was brand new when we moved in, and she had never used it. She doesn't cook much. Mark has cooked A LOT, so I really need to give that stove a thorough scrubbing on Wednesday so it looks brand new when we leave.
    I think everything is going to fit in the car, and that was a relief. I threw out two huge garbage bags of just unnecessary crap that had accumulated or was already laying out in the car. That felt good!
    I'm hearing about a snow storm coming here Wednesday and moving up the coast to NY on Thursday. That's the only other wrinkle in out plans. If we have to, we could wait to drive up on Friday if the weather is better then. We just have to wait and see what Mother Nature decides to send our way.
    How is your day going? Hope it's been a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow you're coming down to the end in Maryland. I am glad that you got a lot of work done today. That will be a relief to have out of the way. I hope that the weather stays alright for you to get to the wedding on time. I am having a good day. I haven't gotten my husband to give his own shot of byetta yet, but he is able to dial up the dose ok and has watched me give the 3 shots that he's had so far. The needles are very tiny and short and are activated with a push of a button kind of like his blood glucose lancet, but I don't blame him for being hesitant to give himself a shot yet. I am very used to giving others shots obviously but I know that I would be scared to give myself a shot. We are spending a lot of time together this weekend and that has been fun. I am glad that I get a chance to help him a little with his new shot regimen. Well have a good night.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Becky -- We LOVED having you and Mark (and the other 4 people) over to our home for Shabbat lunch. I'm so glad that you were able to squeeze in a trip to Esther Court before you left. Your story of the "Hairball spa" still has me laughing. You both will be missed. I definitely forsee a trip to Florida in the future. Many hugs, Farlee

    ReplyDelete