Thursday, January 20, 2011

A day later

I want to thank everyone for their comments yesterday and for the emails I received. They did remind me that "this, too, shall pass." I was revived by the comments. Thank you.

I did finally dress yesterday, about 20 minutes before Lowell came over. It seemed like a struggle, but I didn't want him to find me in my bathrobe. He does read this now and then, but he's not a regular, so he might not notice this! LOL

Once he came over, I did feel better. It lifted my spirits to hang out with him for a few more hours. It was Tu B'Shevat last night, birthday of the trees. Most of the time in the past we made a Tu B'Shevat seder with friends in our house or joined others at the synagogue for a seder. This would include eating 15 different kinds of fruit. Mark and I decided not to do a whole seder last night; we didn't really have our supplies up here. Instead we just bought a bunch of Israeli fruits to snack on with Lowell while we watched the DVD: dates, pomegranate, figs, grapes, almonds. They were delicious. We watched our five episodes, leaving the final five for tonight. It's going to be a celebration tonight as we complete our five seasons of the show. It has been so much fun! We do plan to see him one more time next week before we go. He will make plans to come to Florida in the spring or early summer, so it won't be too long before we see him again.

Last night was the first night I did not take any oxycodone at bedtime to help me sleep through the aches. I really didn't have any significant aching yesterday. This morning I noticed that my toes are tingling and there is a black spot on half of my big toe. These are typical Taxol side effects. Today is also the day my white blood cell count will hit its lowest point. Hopefully, I will get through this one more day without a fever and be home free tomorrow! It is really pleasant to think that no more toxic chemicals are going to get pumped in to my body just when I'm starting to feel well again.

Our plans today include going to Seven Mile Market for the last time. We're shopping for some dinner supplies for later in the week, but since we leave next Thursday, we really need to eat what's in the pantry and fridge and not bring too much more into the house. Mark also wants to eat lunch at the kosher Subway one last time. That is the thing he's going to miss the most, I think. After lunch, we're going to go to the museum, Evergreen, on the campus of Loyola University. It's right in our neighborhood here, so it seems like a good thing to see before we leave. I'll try to take some pictures, if that's allowed.

48 hours have elapsed since I took the last Flagyl. I won't get excited about the C Diff being gone until at least six days have passed. It returned in five days the first time, 2 days the second time, and four days after the third time. Until five or six days go by after this fourth time, I'm just not going to believe I'm C Diff free. In the meantime, I'm still eating a lot of Activia, sourdough bread, and some sauerkraut. I plan to have some of that for dinner tonight. Mark is making hamburgers on English muffins for dinner. We have left over cole slaw and salad, so I think I should eat sauerkraut with that as well.

I heard that yesterday it was 50 degrees outside. Somehow I didn't know that until I was watching the 11 o'clock news last night. Geez, if I had been dressed and in a better mood, I would have enjoyed walking outside in that temperature. Today it's going back to the thirties, so there will not be a walk today. I am looking forward to getting to Florida where even if it's cold, I can walk in the indoor track at the Riviera Spa complex. Maybe I'll even get back to swimming. There's no reason why I can't do that now unless my bathing suit doesn't fit anymore! LOL!!

2 comments:

  1. I am so very glad that you are feeling better today. That makes my day. It sure would be great if your c diff was gone for good, but at least if it is not yet you sound like you have a good supply of flagyl to last you for a while. I hope that you have some fun on your errands today and then tonight with your son.

    On another note, I am trying something new today. I have been looking up low carb recipes on the internet as my husband has had an extremely high blood sugar and will start on injectable byetta tomorrow to hopefully help lower it. I found a recipe to make a pizza with a riced cauliflower base that supposedly doesn't taste like cauliflower. I am going to the store to get some cauliflower and try this. I hope that I can make it happen and that it will taste good. I will be a good test subject for it since I hate cauliflower myself. You guys probably know all about this since your husband is a good cook,but since I am not a good cook this is a learning experience for me. I will let you know how it turns out. Have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rhonda,
    We would be very interested in this recipe for the cauliflower based pizza. Mark used to make mashed cauliflower in place of mashed potatoes. It was quite good and very low carb. I have not heard of injectable byetta. Is this instead of injecting insulin? Mark's still controlling himself with multiple oral meds (metformin and glipizide) plus two other OTC meds Benfotiamine and sustained release alpha lipoic acid. I don't know if I spelled any of that right! LOL He lives in fear of having to inject himself with anything some day.

    ReplyDelete