Saturday, July 13, 2013

Guinness Book of World Records, sort of

I think a lot of people would like to be part of something that's in the Guinness Book of World Records.  There's something kind of interesting about doing something that's record breaking.  I bet that's a motivating factor to many Olympic athletes.

Well, Mark and I had that chance back in 2010 to be part of a world record event that was sanctioned and recorded by the Guinness Book of World Records.  It was sponsored then by AANR, The American Association for Nude Recreation.  We were part of the world record skinny dip!

WHAT?  What did you say?  Skinny Dipping?  NUDE Recreation?

Oh, yes.  That's what I said.

All I can say is don't knock it until you've tried it.  It's a most pleasant experience.  We have been skinny dipping for over 15 years.  In fact, I have a really hard time making myself put on a bathing suit to swim in a regular pool.  Of course, I do it all the time because there are simply more pools and beaches that require them than resorts and beaches that ban them.  In Florida, because of the wonderful year-round weather, there are many clothing optional beaches and resorts that actually prohibit swimsuits in the pools.  When you come out of a clothing optional beach or pool, your skin just dries up naturally and quickly, like coming out of a shower.  When you come out of a textile pool or beach, that swimsuit stays damp, cold, and clammy for hours.  Part of that is because I'm big and old!  LOL!  MY swimsuit is HUGE and full of multiple layers of fabric!  It takes DAYS to dry off.  UGH.  I hate the clammy, skin-chapping feeling of damp fabric on my body for the rest of the day.

Why am I bringing this up today?

Today AANR, along with TNS (The Naturist Society), are jointly sponsoring another World Record Skinny Dip event.  At 1 p.m. local time, any beach or clothing optional resort or private pool or hot tub can participate.  We are going to the local nude resort called Cypress Cove, which is just six miles from our house.  At 1 p.m., weather permitting, Mark and I will be in the pool, nude, with hundreds of our closest friends, to be counted as one of the thousands of participants.  The number to beat is 14, 288 from 2010.  This number will be compiled from multiple locations reporting in across the whole USA as well as Mexico and Canada.

Unfortunately, this one is NOT sanctioned or recorded by Guinness.  I'm not sure why they didn't do that this year, but it will still be fun.  The weather is always "iffy" in the afternoons in the summer in Florida.  We are all hoping that it cooperates until we've dipped and been counted. 


1 comment:

  1. Happily, the storms held up until after the skinny dip. With over 310 people in the pool at Cypress Cove, I'd say we did our share toward breaking the record. We'll have to see the final tally. Cypress Cove, by the way, is a great resort. In addition to getting high marks on Tripadvisor, it features a beautiful lake, 2 pools, 2 hot tubs, 2 bars (one of which is one of our favorites) and a great lake side restaurant. I always enjoy going there.

    ReplyDelete