Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Tisha B'Av

Today is the ninth of Av, a major fast day, like Yom Kippur.  Mark stopped eating and drinking last night around 8:30 p.m. and will continue to do so all day until about 8:30 tonight.  Because he has some important medications, especially for the heart, he does take a little food and water in the morning for those.  Otherwise, nothing.

This day is the day that the temple in Jerusalem was destroyed, twice.  So it's a day of mourning, hence the fast.  Last night Mark sat on the floor, in the dark, with a flashlight, and listened to a recording of someone chanting the Book of Lamentations.  He will do that again this morning.  We didn't go to the synagogue last night for services because it was in Winter Springs, way up north.  Last year it was at our own synagogue, so we did go, but the Orlando area synagogues rotate who hosts this service.  It was just too far away this year.

I am not fasting.  I haven't fasted on Tisha B'Av in a long time.  I really can't remember when I stopped doing it.  I really can't remember when I did do it either.

Mark is going to stay in the cool, air-conditioned house all day because without being able to drink water, it's pretty silly to spend any time doing anything in the hot sun of a Florida summer.  Because I'm not fasting, I'm going about my normal day.

I walked this morning, although not quite as far or as long as yesterday. I did 1.16 miles in 25 minutes and burned 101 calories.  At 10:30 I will be participating in the Beginner Line Dancing class like last Tuesday. I danced for 40 minutes last week. I hope to go that long or maybe a few minutes longer today.  Then I'm going to swim for awhile.  No weight lifting today.  I will eat my lunch poolside and just generally enjoy a day by the pool until the rain comes later in the afternoon.  Nice day.

Tomorrow is weigh-in Wednesday, and I admit I am getting very excited for that scale to return. I feel I have had an excellent week.  There wasn't anything else I could have done to make it better, so I am hoping for a great weight loss.

Here's today's food plan and calories:
Breakfast:  Fiber One, Dannon Light and Fit Greek Yogurt, 1/2 cup blueberries  182 calories
Lunch: can of tuna, tossed salad, 2 slices low fat cheese   236 calories
Dinner:  Sweet Pepper and Hash Brown Eggs (Diabetic Living), Green Beans  259 calories
Snacks:  2 Plumtastic Cookies (Mark made) and 1 pint Arctic Zero    272 calories
Total:  949
Exercise: walking, line dancing, swimming  Calories burned 874

Wow! This is going to be a great day for dropping some weight!

Here's my caloric intake and output for the week:
Wed, 7/10    1131 in       424 out
Th, 7/11       1240 in       446 out
Fr, 7/12        1285 in       124 out
Sa, 7/13       1306 in        104 out
Sun, 7/14     1454 in        257 out
Mon 7/15     1372 in        625 out
Today  7/16  949 in         874 out

If I can't lose weight from a week like this, then it's hopeless.  Check back tomorrow morning for the big reveal!  LOL!

No comments:

Post a Comment