Tuesday, July 31, 2018

All good news

Our doctor's appointment went very well yesterday.

First, she was completely unconcerned about Mark's 815 (normal is under 500) Absolute Eosinophils number.  She said it was probably some small thing that would resolve itself.  Hope she's right.  His carbon dioxide number was only 1 above normal, so that's in the margin of error.  Again she's unconcerned.  She did get his Metropolol prescription problem resolved, so he should get that med and enough for our trip so he doesn't run out.

My weight on her scale with clothes and shoes was 268.8, less than my scale at home showed, so I was pretty pleased.  That was about an 11 pound loss from her records, so she was happy.  She was unconcerned about my elevated numbers and neither am I, so we were in agreement on that.  She actually checked my phone to see how many steps I'm taking and encouraged me to be sure I got a minimum of 5,000 a day and then go up to 6, etc.  I am usually averaging about 4500 a day, some as low as 2,000 and some as high as 12,000 (at theme parks!), so it should not be hard to do.  I told her I would do it.  Mark reminded her that my days of water aerobics don't show up as steps but that I do have those days of exercise, so she was pleased to hear that.

My only issue is something I've had for about 25 years but has increased in frequency and intensity lately.  That is called olfactory hallucinations.  In other words, I smell nasty, stale cigarette smoke where there is none.  I remember it happening when I used to drive to work in the early nineties.  It didn't last long, was mostly in the car, and wasn't too horrible.  It also didn't happen too often.  Unfortunately, it has increased a lot lately, maybe over the last six to either months.  So she has given me a referral to a neurologist who she said would probably order an MRI or CT scan to be sure there's nothing bad going on in the brain.  I have googled it, and it can be nothing, just some odd crossed wires.  But it can also be Parkinson's Disease or brain tumors, so it's worth ruling out the worst possibilities.  If it's nothing major, I just have to live with it.  UGH.  A few weeks ago it was very strong and lasted nearly three hours to the point where I was feeling nauseous constantly smelling it.  I have to call and make an appointment for September.

My weight this morning was 267.4, so getting back to the 266.4 that I saw Saturday morning.  I am still hoping a few more might evaporate by Friday morning when we head to CA.

Sometime between now and 1 p.m. a Service America man should come to repair our fridge.  The ice maker is always a problem. This is the third or fourth time we have had to have it repaired. It makes ice, but it won't dispense it.  The motor has been replaced twice.  The service technician has told us that it was a Whirlpool design flaw, so if we ever get another fridge, I'm looking for a different type of ice maker.  Also the light went out, but when Mark tried to replace it, he got flickering light and a loud buzzing sound.  He read that it is a sign of an electrical panel problem that will probably need to be replaced.  So that's two things we are hoping he can fix today for the same $55 co-pay.

I'm planning to go to water aerobics today while Mark stays home for the technician. Yay for me and for exercise.  Other than that I'll be home all day doing my favorite things of reading, TV, and the jigsaw puzzle.  I never tire of those activities.

No comments:

Post a Comment