Monday, July 30, 2018

Plans changed. Weight gained.

The good and the bad....

Saturday was lovely.  We went to shul; Mark read Haftarah; I got another lady who is joining my choir, making THREE new ladies this season.  Then the afternoon was lovely at home with reading, puzzling, and TV.

Our plans changed yesterday for the good.  We were supposed to meet friends at 1 p.m. at Hollywood Studios to ride all the new rides in Toy Story Land with her and her disability pass.  We also had some Fastpasses and planned to eat a grilled cheese sandwich at Woody's Lunch Box, the new quick service restaurant. Well, the thunderstorm chances were in the 80-90% range from 1-6 p.,m., so we bailed on all of that.  We found another date for that, cancelled our Fastpasses, and stayed in the house the whole day.  It did, indeed, rain hard in the afternoon.

I spent nearly FOUR hours answering questions on 23 and Me for the Ancestry/Health kit that Lowell sent me for my birthday.  There were over1500 questions on the website that were optional to answer in order to help with data points for research.  I didn't realize there were that many or that it would take that long, but I just kept going and going.  It showed me how far along I was in a percentage, and as it got into the 70% and up range, I was tired of doing it, but I just kept thinking I wanted to get to the end.  I'm a fast reader and answer those types of questions fairly quickly, yet it took me 3 1/2 hours.  I can only imagine that it could have taken six hours for some people.  That's why almost no one probably does all those questions.  Mark didn't do any.  Then I spit in the vial and got it all ready to go in the mail today.  Lowell and Mark already did theirs and Evey returned her of a refund.  I'm excited to get my results.  I don't honestly expect to find out anything terribly interesting or earth-shattering, but I'm still excited to do it.

The bad is that I have gained two pounds since Saturday morning.  I reported weighing 267 Friday morning, and then Saturday I was 266.4.  I was VERY happy about that.  But Sunday morning I was 268.4 and this morning I'm the same.  My calories on Saturday were 1433 with 5,058 mg of sodium, so I thought it was water retention and would be gone this morning.  So I wasn't too upset Saturday with the gain; however, this morning I'm STILL 268.4 even though yesterday my calories were only 1359 with 2300 mg of sodium.  I was sure the water retention would be gone.  It isn't.  In fact when I went to bed I was over 271, so that was alarming.  Then this morning I was just back to the 268.4, same as Sunday morning.  This is upsetting and incomprehensible.

I'm especially sad about it because at 11:15 this morning Mark and I both have our family doctor check ups and weigh-ins.  At my April 30 visit my weight at their office, with clothes and shoes on (because for some reason they won't let us take our shoes off anymore) was 279.2  This morning starting out at 268.4 I'm going to weigh myself dressed and with shoes before I leave the house and then see how much more it is on their scale in the office.  It should still look like I lost a few pounds but not as many as I had hoped it would be.

All my blood work was good.  My glucose was 109; LDL was 100; and triglycerides were 179.  All of those are slightly elevated, but they are still around what I  usually seem to get and reasonable to me.  At the end of April, the doctor doubled my Lipitor dose from 10 mg to 20 mg, so I was kind of surprised that the LDL and triglycerides didn't go down more than that.  Still, I'm not terribly worried about any of it.  My cholesterol ratio is 3.5, which is excellent, and my total cholesterol is well into the normal range. In fact the triglycerides are down from 193 last time and LDL is down from 108, so maybe the extra Lipitor is working.  I'm not at all worried. And my glucose, although always elevated over the 99 upper limit for normal, is what I've been running for off and on for years.  Sometimes I'm under 99 and sometimes I'm not.  This time I'm not.  Last two times were 113 and 112, so this wasn't too bad.  The last time I was in the normal range was April of 2017 when I had a 97.  This is all considered pre-diabetes, but I'm just not worried about it.

Mark had two elevated numbers that are way more concerning than mine.  These two things he never had elevated before: carbon dioxide and absolute eosinophils.  So we are interested in seeing what she says about those.  We are hoping she orders some tests to track down the reasons for it.  It could be something quite innocuous like a fungal infection, easily treated, or something as horrible as various cancers.  We need some answers for this!

After we get home from the doctor, we can watch some TV and relax before I head over to the synagogue for choir rehearsal tonight.  I had to cancel last Wednesday because there was no one who could open the door for me.  We are making that one up tonight because now I have some one with a key who is coming!  We are also meeting on Wednesday, so it's kind of a busy choir week, but since we leave for Evey's house on Friday, I need to rehearse whenever I can.  Three new ladies!  Wow.  They have a lot of work to do to get ready for the High Holidays.


PS. I have just weighed in on my home scale with clothes and shoes after breakfast so that I can compare it to what it says at the doctor's office.  My scale now says 270.8, so up 3.4 with clothes, shoes, and breakfast consumed. Tomorrow I'll record what the doctor's office scale said.

No comments:

Post a Comment