Friday, November 13, 2009

Good friends and Bad Habits

I had a nice comment on yesterday's blog from my sister-in-law, Denise. She said it's hard to break bad habits until we understand why we have them. That's very true. The emotional eating articles from Peer Trainer are addressing that issue. I'm a bit behind on listening to them and reading them. I guess it's time to make a point of getting back to that. I did a bit better yesterday, but not perfect. I succumbed to some temptations while watching TV, about an extra 500 calories over my plan. Still, a day of 1700 isn't bad, but it's too much to have any weight loss when there is no exercise along with it.

Good friends help a lot! Yesterday, my good friend Jan came over for a visit. Even though she could only stay an hour, it was wonderful. The cold, rainy, dreary day was definitely brightened by our conversation. She's reading the blog! It's always exciting to me when I discover that someone is reading the blog. She can even relate to some of the things I've been saying. It's comforting to know that there are people who "get it" out there, and I love to hear their stories.

On Sunday I will have 6 great friends coming over to play Mah Jongg at my house. I had set the time for 2 to 4:30 on the condition that I didn't have to make any food or set anything up. They happily agreed. Then yesterday the food talks started. One of them wanted to know what she could bring that I would eat. Well, the short answer to that is that if anyone brings ANYTHING, I'm going to want to eat it. Of course, I should NOT eat anything; that's the real answer.

So I wrote back to her saying that since I scheduled it for 2 to 4:30 because I usually do not eat during that time, there was no reason to bring food for me. If they were going to bring food, it should be vegetables or low-calorie fruits like melon or berries. I planned to drink tea, chew gum, and not think about the snacks they were eating. I also asked that they especially not bring chocolate, chips, or baked goods. After all, I purposely picked 2 to 4:30 because it wasn't lunch or dinner.

Our Mahj group has been playing together for years and years, and we always have it around a lunch or dinner. Whoever hosts usually puts out most of the food, but others attending bring something to contribute. It's always a yummy occasion! I've certainly enjoyed the food as much as the games, the conversation, and the friendships; however, now it's time to put the food part away for awhile, at least for me. It's time to make it about the game, the conversations, and the friendships only.

I'm very excited and pleased that everyone has responded to that email notice in a positive way. They are all supporting me! They are all saying, "Hey, wait, I don't usually eat between 2 and 4:30 either. Maybe we can just have some nice tea and coffee and leave the food out of it."

Way to go girls!! Thanks for being supportive and for being my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment