Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Good news/Bad news

Hm...it's now the afternoon after the surgery. The good news is that it went remarkably well, much better than I ever would have believed. The clinic was running behind schedule, so my noon surgery turned into a 1 p.m. surgery, but I was still leaving the clinic at 4:30. We stopped at the store for a pain med prescription, soup, and crackers for dinner and still got in the house by 5:30 p.m. Not bad at all. I did all that I was supposed to do: ice on and off every 20 minutes until I went to bed; pain meds staggered, 800 mg ibuprofen then three hours later a percocet then back to ibuprofen, etc. That seemed to work really well. I had a lot of local anaesthetic injected into the wound site, so that made it very easy to get in the car and get home. I didn't feel any soreness or discomfort in the surgery site until today when clearly the locals are worn off. The percocet and ibuprofen combo is keeping the pain to a minimum. It's all good.

The other good news is that the doctor only had to make one cut. He had planned to do an upside down T, but he didn't need the cross-bar part after all. He only made one long incision and was able to reach in and do both hernias through the same incision. He said that would make the recovery smoother. I'm sure he's right.

Now for the bad news. I GAINED NINE POUNDS yesterday. I got up yesterday and was 220 (yay for hitting that goal for surgery) and got up this morning at 229. (boo hiss) I would not even think that is possible because I only ate 750 calories yesterday in soup and crackers. I had a good week where I averaged 1150 each day of the week, and yet Tuesday is the day to write down my weight, so sadly I had to write down a big gain for the week. Sniff. So sad. When the doctor's nurse called to follow up today, I mentioned it to her. She actually laughed and said, "Well, we did pump a lot of fluids into you yesterday." She said it could take two weeks for the fluid to all leave. Sniff again. Still, I will look forward to that.

The other bad news, and I know this is petty, is that I took the big bandage off today and got a look at the new scar. I cannot really see my belly button without a mirror, but Mark was looking. He said I now have an "outy." Hm....I always had an "inny" until the hernia bulged out. I kind of thought it would all get pushed back in, but in fairness, the doctor did say he was going to have to rebuild the belly button. Maybe I should have asked for an "inny." Oh, well....too late now!

No comments:

Post a Comment