Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Ramping it up

I increased the walking today, and it felt pretty good! Mark and I just returned from going 2.1 miles in 50 minutes. I know that's nothing to brag about under ordinary circumstances, but for me it's an accomplishment. It's 15 minutes longer and .6 of a mile farther, so that makes it an accomplishment at this time. I broke a sweat and feel like I'm coming back.

I also went to the grocery store today all by myself! Wow, I haven't done that in a long time actually. I needed more vitamins, but I also discovered a new soup. I bought a container of Campbell's Select Harvest Light Southwestern -Style Vegetable Soup. It had two servings in it (yeah, right, who would share that?) at 50 calories per serving. So I ate the whole container for 100 calories. I also had a can of tuna in water for another 100 calories plus my usual two containers of sugar-free jello for 20 more. Today's lunch was 220. Excellent.

Normally I eat Nile Minestrone soup in a cup at 140 calories. So this Campbell's soup, which was really delicious and just as filling, was 40 calories less. Hm...a good deal until you compare price. Nile at $1.50 is the better bargain compared to the Campbell's at $2.69.

A comparison of the other nutrients finds this:

Nile Minestrone
Calories 140
Fat 1 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 590 mg
Tot Carbs 30 g
Fiber 8 g
Sugar 3 g
Protein 8 g


Campbell's Select Harvest Light Southwestern-Style Vegetable
Calories 100
Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 960 mg
Total Carbs 28 g
Fiber 8 g
Sugar 10 g
Protein 4 g

For someone watching their sodium or sugar intake, then the Nile Minestrone is a better choice. Fat, cholesterol, and fiber are equal. Nile is also higher in its protein content.

I don't really care about any of those things except the calories, so for me Campbell's looks better; however, it does cost almost twice as much. Oh, well...variety is the spice of life.

3 comments:

  1. I am impressed at how well you are managing calories! It's a challenge, or it's sort of a fun game or puzzle! Like finding good soup not to high in sodium!! Kip was giving me flack about eating the wheat version of wonder bread versus the hearty wheat bread. Big calorie difference and the hearty wheat bread has no more nutrition except for an extra gram of fiber. Not worth the calories!!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. For those of us who are diabetics watching carbs, those soups are poison.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading nutritional info has almost become a hobby. I am now looking things up online for restaurants which is how we found out Denny's and Subway are good choices when eating out. Outback has my favorite drink and appetizer, but the calorie counts are so astronomical, that I really can't justify eating them anymore. It really is a puzzle!

    ReplyDelete