Saturday, November 28, 2009

Travel Eating Troubles

I have really enjoyed my trip to Orlando to visit Evey. I got to watch her work and treat injured athletes on the soccer field. That was such a joy; however, I have not managed my food very well the last few days. I had planned to eat a lot at Thanksgiving dinner at the Golden Corral buffet, and I certainly did follow through on that plan. I estimated that I ate nearly 3000 calories just at dinner. Oh my it tasted good, but I had not felt that overfull feeling in a long time. Evey tried to remind me that it just doesn't feel that great. Of course, she's right.

Sadly, it also meant that I continued to overdo it on the next day as well. I can't tell exactly how the weight is going, except that I'm sure it's going UP. The scale is being erratic on the bathroom floor of our hotel room. It showed me an EIGHT pound spread this morning. Am I down three since Thanksgiving morning? Not likely. Am I up five? Probably. UGH. I just came back up to the room after having breakfast at the hotel, and I ate a bit more than I had planned. I had some scrambled eggs, a bowl of grits, some sliced canned peaches, and some strawberry yogurt (not sugar free or fat free, I'm quite sure.) That's probably around 500 calories, more than twice as many as my usual breakfast. Lunch will be the Subway salads we bought in advance yesterday and put in our refrigerator, so that's the 190 I often have. Dinner will be my usual tilapia dinner at Denny's for 750. Tonight on the train I will eat a banana. So today won't be too bad, but it will come to about 1570. I can do a bunch of walking at the Disney Wide World of Sports Complex again today when we go watch Evey work baseball. Yesterday she did soccer. It was just amazing to watch her calmly treat the middle-school aged boys who had ankle injuries. Awesome.

The thing that really worries me is how easy it is to slip back into the bad habits. I have to think ahead to our 42 day vacation in March and April. We will be on a cruise ship for 30 days and eating a buffet breakfast every one of those days. I had better learn to put less on my breakfast plate at that buffet than I have done at this buffet. I also need to stick to the three-bite rule on desserts, or better yet, not take them every night. Last night Mark and I had a great dinner at a fancy restaurant called Paradiso 37 at Pleasure Island in Downtown Disney. We ordered a peach Empanada dessert. It came with eight separate little pieces and two dipping sauces. Mark ate his three pieces. I ate the other five. And I used up most of the dipping sauces. Totally unnecessary. I couldn't stop myself. Jeez. New habits are hard to form, and hard to stick to, but it's so easy to slip back into the old habits.

No comments:

Post a Comment